Anyone know of a good all natural soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Single Malt Whiskers, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Single Malt Whiskers

Single Malt Whiskers Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a hippy when it comes to using natural products and I'm just wondering whether anyone has found an all natural shave soap that actually works. Doesn't have to be the best, just needs to do the job. I've heard pretty bad things about all naturals so I'm hoping I just haven't heard of a good one yet.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mikes Natural soaps

Good reviews and feedback from many folks on the shave soaps and other products.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stirling soaps. Just read the product descriptions. Some use fragrance oils for scent, but many of them are just essential oil. You won't be sacrificing any quality there.

4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

When you say all natural do you mean vegan, or just no chemicals?

Because there are tons of natural soaps made by artisans right now. Stirling, Mike's Natural, Ginger's Garden, Strop Shoppe, Maggards Platinum, Barrister and Mann, Shavers Heaven, Caties Bubbles... Etc etc etc

RyX, Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. Thalasos

Thalasos Active Member

From Europe, Valobra Soap Cream, Nannys Silly Soap, Jabonman, Le Pere Lucien Natural are soft and no adds. Each one comes from a different country. You can write them for further details.

6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

'No chemicals' is nigh-impossible in practice, given that H2O is a chemical and Organic Chemistry can chemically describe an apple.

What particular additives are you hoping to avoid, @Single Malt Whiskers ?

David Green, RyX and TheManWithNoName like this.
  7. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I think we can agree that were referring to harmful types of chemicals rather than water

PickledNorthern likes this.
  8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but that's why I asked what particular additives @Single Malt Whiskers was hoping to avoid. To paraphrase JoAnna from another thread, "Mercury is all-natural; that does not mean it's good for you."

9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I would say depends where you live. Many good local natural soaps are available but considering the currency difference Canadian products are a deal for U.S. buyers. I use TSD soaps. They are also available in the U.S.A.

David Green likes this.
  10. Single Malt Whiskers

Single Malt Whiskers Active Member

Thanks for the tip! Hadn't thought about the exchange between Canadian and US dollars.

@youngunn and @Jasman I would say no chemicals (the Mikes Natural link with pure tallow is fine for example... if it agrees with my oily skin is another issue though!). It might sound silly but I'd like a list of ingredients that I don't need a PhD in chemistry to understand lol. I guess I figure if I'm shaving like my grandpa it wouldn't hurt to have something he'd recognize as soap.

Red Rider likes this.
  11. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

Precisely. Similarly, ''sola dosis facit venenum.''

12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Could not agree more about Stirling.

David Green and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  13. Red Rider

Agree, but there is no safe dose of mercury established for mammals.

14. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

As indicated, 'no chemicals' is not really possible. Dihydrogen Monoxide, Sodium Hydroxide and/or Stearic Acid are going to be present, almost regardless, because it's soap. It's not that the concern 'sounds silly,' it's that it's not a feasible goal, as stated. If you could clarify what you're looking to avoid other than 'long chemical names,' we could better assist, because any ingredient list for soap is going to include things with long chemical names.

David Green likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Sodium Hydroxide - caustic potash
    Potassium Hydroxide - potash of lye
    Stearic Acid - lard and/or vegetable oils

The names have changed over the years, but soap is still made by adding lye to oils/fats.

If you want an old recipe, Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap is based on such a recipe. It was modernized and updated in the 1930's as near as I can figure, as some of the ingredients weren't invented until then.

If you just want the best shaving experience, Kiss my Face shaving cream is sold at Whole Foods and many other "Natural" food stores.
    It is Paraben/Phthalate/SLS free, preservative free, no animal ingredients, no animal testing, and is biodegradable.

I don't care about any of that, only performance, and luckily, it also creates an outstanding lather and comes in a variety of scents.

macaronus and ask4Edge like this.
  16. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

Just to clarify, that quotation was posted to indicate a basic principle of toxicolgy, and not in reference to mercury, specifically, nor its toxic threshold. In other words, arsenic and cyanide, for example - both present in fuits and vegetables - are not necessairly, in and of themselves, toxic, although given a certain dose, these elements are.

Relatedly, parabens are not necessarily toxic either at sub-threshold levels.
    Per American Cancer Society, "so far, studies have not shown any direct link between parabens and any health problems, including breast cancer."
    That said, I'd turn down a product that contained, let's say, 50% parabens (versus the regulative 0.8%).

Incidently, parabens can be found in blueberries, and in the secretions of female dogs where it acts as a pheromone.

Interestingly, phenoxyethanol is sometimes touted as a natural alternative to parabens because it occurs in green tea, but in reality is commercially synthesized from petroleum-sourced phenol.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    David Green and Red Rider like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Oh my! The next thing you'll tell us is dihydrogen monoxide is entirely unavoidable in our wet-shaving routines! :eek::eek::eek:
    :scared003:

18. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Not at all. Just get out your trusty electric shaver. . . . ;)

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

ooooo…that unfortunately has other consequences I'd rather not deal with (dry, itchy face with tender spots…) :shocked002:

Jasman likes this.
  20. Red Rider

Good informative post @ask4Edge . Propylene Glycol being another questionable skin care ingredient. SLS a great subsidizer can be irritating to skin and slow healing of cuts both on skin and in mouth.

ask4Edge likes this.