Two New Pieces from Elite Razor (Bob Quinn)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by figment714, Dec 24, 2015.

1. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Earlier this week I received two handles commissioned from Bob at Elite Razor:
    Desert Ironwood pre bloom[​IMG]
    Post bloom[​IMG]

Buckeye burl/Blue resin composite handle
    [​IMG]

My poor cell phone photos above don't fully convey the beauty of seeing these pieces in real life. Bob is a true artisan, as the craftsmanship of these handles is impeccable. He managed to draw out the dynamic grain inherent in the Desert Ironwood, creating a level of depth and color that really brings the wood to life. The 2-band silvertip knot seems to be just what I was looking for: soft tips with plenty of backbone. The overall brush is perfectly weighted and feels great in my hand.

The Buckeye Burl/Blue resin handle is also stunning. It'll be difficult to find a knot worthy of the handle, but when I do I know that the finished brush will be a showpiece. The contrast of the lighter Buckeye Burl with the dark resin is amazing. I am extremely happy with the results of Bob's fine work. I cannot recommend his work enough.

I had Bob create the Desert Ironwood handle because I happen to have a large Ironwood tree growing in my backyard. It has been the bane of my existence since I moved into my house 16 years ago, as the tiny leaves it produces find their way into my pool on a daily basis, and its needle-sharp thorns never fail to leave my arms a bloody mess come trimming time. Having a brush of the same wood will give me just a bit of satisfaction to know that in some small way that I'd have finally conquered the mighty Ironwood!

PLANofMAN, preidy, Redfisher and 5 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

Congrats and enjoy.

Redfisher and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. boingo

boingo Member

I like those handle shapes. Classic!

Redfisher and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

The Ironwood handle has a beautiful grain pattern. Don't see that tree in Mississippi.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Sweet!

Redfisher and figment714 like this.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Sweet!! I have been looking forward to seeing yours. I will look forward to more soon...................

7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Lovely! :)

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

He sure does nice work! Congratulations!

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Wow. You may need to don a smoking jacket to use those.

Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.
  10. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of the above gentlemen for your earlier kind words.

Now that I've settled on a knot for the blue resin/Buckeye burl handle and completed the brush, I wanted to provide an update to this thread. After researching various knots, I decided to go with a 24mm shavemac, 2-band Silvertip bulb, largely due to reputation it has earned across the shaving boards for exceptional quality and performance. I felt that I had a responsibility to compliment Bob Quinn's beautiful handle with an equally fine knot.

I received the knot from Germany last week, mounted it to a 50mm loft this weekend, and gave it an initial lather today.

[​IMG] shavemac 24/50, 2-band Silvertip knot

[​IMG] shavemac knot and Elite Razor composite handle

[​IMG] Pre-bloom from Buckeye burl side

[​IMG]First lather, post-bloom

[​IMG]Comparison: WSP 2-band Silvertip (left), and shavemac 2-band Silvertip (right)

PLANofMAN, Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

What a beautiful end result Don. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

figment714 and Redfisher like this.
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Good choice! Great looking pair!

figment714, Redfisher and Robyflexx like this.