What cream to buy next?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Macros42, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

So I've 3 creams rights no3. TOBS Sandalwood, Speick and Proraso green (not used yet - just arrived today - looking forward to the menthol hit).

I want to add to the collection to try out different ones. I do love the TOBS one and the Speick one. Have a tobs standard soap too but I just can't get a good lather from soap with the water in my area.

Willing to try anything different. Payday is Monday and plan on placing an order. My go-to site is http://www.shaving.ie as they are local and excellent service (ordered a SOC brush, proraso cream, alum block and muhle blades from them at 1:50pm yesterday and they were delivered before 10am today). Another place I use is http://www.knightsshavingshop.com/. I don't actually order online from them - I walk up to them at lunchtime. That's where I got my R89. The 2 barbers there know their stuff - lovely guys. I do like to use shaving.ie as it's one guy from home and I like to support small enterprise - Knights is a franchise. Tempted to try T&H creams - not cheap but I believe are very nice. Half considering sandalwood again but open to suggestions. So from those sites (or other ones - I'm not married to either) what suggestions would you make?

Another splurge I'm thinking of is cologne. As you may have seen in the Show off your Den thread I do have some eau de toilettes - some are old but still good. A lot just sat there as I didn't like the feel after a shave and I hated shaving. How I've changed since I discovered proper shaving and what I've learned about the difference between EdT, Cologne and Lotion. I have 3 splash lotions - speick, proraso green and old spice original. But only one cologne - Ted Baker. So might get a new one too (or two too ;) ). Again any suggestions welcome.

I'm fully aware that this is all purely subjective and ymmv but still like to hear what people suggest and why.

Carbide Mike and tuxxdk like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

A different TOBS scent would be a solid choice. It also looks like they have a sale on Cella, which is different from the other three creams.

3. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

Where's this sale on Cella - and what is Cella?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Anything from the TSD Shop. Click SHOP at the top of the page.
    $$ from all purchases support this great forum. See A little bit about TSD down i my sig line.

5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I'm a big fan of creams over soaps, and these are my favorite:

Truefitt&Hill Grafton - great scent and lather
    Jack Black - I like all of their products
    Geo. F. Trumper's - the best Coconut Cream
    Castle Forbes - Cedarwood Sandalwood - great lather and scent
    The Body Shop - Maca Root - great scent and price
    TOBS -Grapefruit very nice

For soft soap I like:
    Cella - wonderful scent and easy lather
    Route 66 - Bourbon Jungle - new to me, great easy lather, wonderful scent and doesn't leave a residue on everything

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The OP asks what cream? So I am going to suggest D.R. Harris. Windsor, Arlington, Marlborough...I have the Windsor soap and I enjoy the scent. The others get good reviews too.

7. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

From what is available on those two pages, I really like the white Proraso cream and balm, and have heard good things about the performance of TOBS Avocado (got one on the way + a Grapefruit). I have no experience with GFT and T&F products, so I can't help you there.
    I recently discovered L'occitane and so far have the L'occitan and the Baux edt - They also make a shaving soap and some other scents I'm interested in. Highly recommended!
    I order mainly from Connaught Shaving, Gifts & Care and Yourshaving.com - Going to those pages should widen your selection a bit, but I dare not recommend you any more products. BTW, there's a soap/cream sample webshop, called ShaveDash.com in N. Ireland - It might save you a few euro's in the long run

Macros42 likes this.
  8. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

That's a good call. I may do both - get a cream from a local supplier another from TSD. What's the shipping costs to Ireland from TSD? And delivery times?

That Castle Forbes one ain't cheap - but does look nice. Hadn't thought of coconut - but seems interesting too. The grapefruit TOBS is one that caught my eye recently. I may have to get all of them to try them out :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    Robyflexx and ObiDon like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry. No idea. Maybe send JoAnna aka Queen of Blades a pm. She makes all the TSD stuff.

Lucas_Don_Velour93 likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll throw in my Rise Super Foamy as a suggestion. IMO an excellent cream, not much scent to it(maybe a little, but for the most part the kind introduced in 1949 is cut off.

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

upload_2016-1-21_18-27-21.png

from http://www.shaving.ie

It's really a soap instead of a cream, but it's a soft soap.

macaronus and ObiDon like this.
  12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

The Castle Forbes isn't cheap, but it is a nice treat! Being in Ireland you may be able to get a deal:eatdrink013:

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

cream-
    Palmolive classic
    vintage Yardley gold
    Proraso blue/ red( if available)
    soap-
    Route 66
    soap commander
    The Shave Den

14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Shipping starts at around 17 USD from TSD Shop to Denmark. I recon Ireland is in the same league.

Macros42 likes this.
  15. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

for the price i consider the TOBS a great buy .. i have several and my favorites are Avacado, Grapefruit and the Jermyn St .. they all are great performers

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I would add La Toja to the list. Excellent cream!

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and PickledNorthern like this.
  17. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

Since you like TOBS, you might want to try their Peppermint. It too (like Proraso Green) provides a strong cooling effect and performance is top-notch -- as good, if not better than TOBS Sandalwood, imo.
    I get excellent results also from TH (UC), DRH, and AdP (tube version).

18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I second that suggestion (if you like the scent of almonds/amaretto/marzipan, that is ;) )

19. Macros42

Macros42 Active Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've order the GFT coconut and Tobs grapefruit. I'll see how I get on with them and report back.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've w been seriously considering this cream. Does the scent and performance match the shave stick?

Bobcat likes this.