Witch hazel enhanced?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by PLAla, Jan 20, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I use a healthy dose of witch hazel after my cold water rinse during post shave. I follow that with Nivea sensitive balm, but only occasionally use an aftershave splash. I would like a little more zing from the witch hazel mainly for feedback reasons to see where my technique may need improving.

Do any of you add alcohol or mix witch hazel with aftershave splashes to create a stronger product? I haven't tried that but figured that someone here probably has!

I look forward to your comments!

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've only added a few drops of TSD M-Bomb in my palm, squirt in some WH, rub my hands together, then apply to my freshly shaven face. Love the menthol boost.

tuxxdk and PLAla like this.
  3. PLAla

I've thought about this too. I have some M-bomb on order from TSD. I look forward to adding to soaps too, but that's another thread!

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have a few aftershave that are witch hazel based. they are very soothing.
    I keep s spray bottle with witch hazel and tea tree oil mixed. if I feel I got too close or if I cut myself, I spray that on. it closes cuts nicely, soothes razorburn, and makes my face feel nice.
    just doesn't smell very appealing.

Matt0210 and PLAla like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I make my own Tend Skin. Only 3 ingredients. Alcohol, Witch Hazel, and Aspirin. You can find the recipe with a simple google search.

PLAla likes this.
  6. PLAla

What does the aspirin do for your skin?

7. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

Captain's choice aftershaves have both witch hazel and alcohol in them. I love their aftershaves

Joef and PLAla like this.
  8. PLAla

I have a sample of Captain's Choice North. It's okay for me. I would want to have an unscented witch hazel/alcohol concoction or perhaps just lightly scented through essential oils maybe.

9. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

Just make your own. That's what I would do! Start with 50/50 maybe and adjust the ratio accordingly.

10. gwsmallwood

Anti-inflammatory and acetylsalicylic acid. It's the active ingredient in Tend Skin. It's also the main ingredient in vinegar. I started using it after my dermatologist prescribed vinegar compresses due to a particularly bad episode of folliculitis.

PLAla likes this.
  11. PLAla

I think I will! I need to get some essential oils. I've wanted to make my own bay rum after shave as some have done on here. I might try a 2/3 witch hazel to 1/3 alcohol, or even 3/4 to 1/4 and then adjust.

12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I mix mine 70% Witch hazel to 30% Aftershave

13. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

Just to clarify, ASA (aka aspirin) is not found in vinegar. Acetic acid (aka vinegar) is a by-product of the synthesization of ASA.

14. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

I don't mix (per se) witch hazel with any of my alcohol-based splashes, although my Floris splash does contain WH; there are also other splashes, available, which contain WH, for example, Pen's Bayolea, and Speick.

Of course, you could always mix WH, with a non-WH-containing splash, or even with perfumers alcohol.
    (FWIW, pure/stand-alone WH distillates, for example DRH Skin Tonic, Humphrey's, Dickinson's, etcetera, are also available.)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    PLAla likes this.
  15. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Did you ever consider using an alum block? That will definitely give you feedback on your technique. I use mine after my cold water rinse, followed by my witch hazel.

PLAla likes this.
  16. PLAla

I would like to try an alum block but am not looking to buy any items at the moment. I have too much to try and work through right now. But eventually I would like to try an alum block and see if it works for me.

Joef likes this.
  17. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Sounds good. That was probably the least expensive and most liked purchases since I started wet shaving.

IDuck likes this.
  18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

agree...its pretty cheap, however (I wish I knew) my face is not a fan of alum.

19. gwsmallwood

Same here. That's what makes me so hesitant to try any of the PAA aftershaves, even though I hear great things about them.