Unusual razor of the day

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lynchman, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Lynchman

Lynchman Member

Found this a couple of weeks back. Have never seen another one like it. The handle is actually a flashlight that can be activated in case you know if one needs to shave in a cave. Not quite sure how it would act putting it under water, I would assume not to well. IMG_3142.JPG

AGHisBBS, TitanTTB, MattCB and 5 others like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Have you shaved with it?

AGHisBBS and Karl G like this.
  3. Lynchman

Lynchman Member

Oh no. The bulb is barely in there. I handle this one with kid gloves.

AGHisBBS and Karl G like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Maybe it's something the U.S military gave out to the Germans .... "Hey free razors " via airdrop... So our snipers could take them out late at night.... ;):rofl::sick013:

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Is that the original box under it? And do the crossed swords mean this is a Wilkinson razor?

NapalmCola and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I've seen one similar made by Tedco. Here is what is shown in Waits.
    [​IMG]

Herm2502, Robyflexx, Lynchman and 4 others like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I confess that the more I read about flashlight razor handles, the less I get it.

So let's see, take a flashlight powered by a pair of AA batteries (mind you, this is not a Halogen bulb or an LED). Now, put a big hunk of brass right in the path of the light to create two semicircles. Next we shave with it such that lather should be piling up in front of the bulb.

Over on B&B, I was told that when this was invented, the electrification of America was still under way and that it would have provided plenty of light to shave with. I guess I can accept that if we're talking about the early 1900s, but now I'm reading that these were sold in the 1940s. Were there really that many people without electricity during and right after WWII? Was this for shaving during an Air Raid?

I just don't get it. I think what I need to see is for someone to post a video of themselves taking this into a very dim or completely dark bathroom and trying to shave with it.

JR

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It makes sense now. Blackouts were strictly enforced during WW2 all along the Atlantic and Pacific seaboard. Men shaved daily back then. It was as unthinkable to leave the house unshaven as it was to leave your hat behind.

It was probably less for actual shaving than it was for seeing your lather, brush, and wash basin. I'm sure it also helped you see where you set your razor down as well.

NapalmCola, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

13. Lynchman

Lynchman Member

No, it just happen to be a nearby box I sat it on to take the picture.

AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Here I thought my combination safety razor/spatula was weird.

Old School, AGHisBBS and NapalmCola like this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice