Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and green: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Jan 25, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'm holding out for Russian reds.

Hillbilly79, NapalmCola and Joef like this.
  2. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah I find that really interesting and it further proves that blades work differently for different people because Nick said that the yellows were terrible for him. Likely just don't agree with his beard and skin type. I think I will do a blade experiment as well to see how many shaves I can get out of a blade.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

+1. I like experiments.

4. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

I got 8 shaves out of a feather then tossed it. It wasn't tugging should have kept using it. Now to determine what blade to put to the test.

5. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I agree with you completely on the order and description.

6. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

For me the Gillette yellows are smoother by a mile and sharper by two than the Astra SP.

But I do not hold the Astra's on a high pedestal like most do. For the bargain price, ya there cheap and work.

But there are many averaged priced razors that for a small jump in price are a huge jump in performance.

Of course ymmv

7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Starting this Sunday I am going to use the green (Super Stainless) for 4 weeks and then use the yellows for 4 weeks...then I will decide which one works best for me. Or whether I abandon both and continue with my Astra SP. I find I really can't judge a blade only after 1 or 2 shaves. It took me a while to settle on Astra SPs....after trying many different blades. Interesting at the time I didn't try Gillette 7 o'clock greens and yellows.

When I use a new blade I find it is very sharp for the first 2 shaves and the it seems to get smoother through shaves 3,4,5 and sometimes shave 6. Then I change my blade...because I only use it for 7 days and then I change it every Sunday morning. Truthfully, I find Astra SPs reliable and they work well with my stubble/skin type. They don't give me any trouble. You just have to know how to talk to it...let it know who's boss...you know what I mean... :ahem:

awk-m4, Bobcat and Jbrew like this.
  8. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

And there is always a possibility you might get a defective blade. I totally agree that you need to work with it for awhile to accurately Guage how it performs.

Rusty blade likes this.