Reducing Oily Head

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Jeremy Crossland, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Jeremy Crossland

Jeremy Crossland New Member

I am wondering if anyone else has issues with extra oily head after head shave? I can't find that any specific product I use makes it better or worse? but the day after I shave my scalp its extra oily; I always have a little bit of oily skin but its much worse on a fresh shave. I have tried a multitude of shaving soaps and aftershaves. anybody have this issue and anybody found a solution?

pinballwizard likes this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Yep. I've found soaps with heavy oil content like jojoba can make it worse. Glycerine or tallow soaps don't seem to make much difference but glycerine moisturizers like Corn Huskers Lotion can make it worse sometimes.

Are you using alcohol-based splashes on your head? Do you use balms or moisturizers? Mine got really bad when I was trying to just use splashes without moisturizers. Dehydrated, but not quite dry skin will overproduce oil to compensate. I use TendSkin for controlling ingrowns and folliculitis. It has a high alcohol content, so I use a moisturizer at least once, sometimes twice a day. Nivea Creme is inexpensive and works well for me.

Robyflexx and MarshalArtist like this.
  3. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I don't shave my head but have oily hair/scalp. Have you ever tried using a oily hair shampoo on your scalp? They treat the scalp as well.

4. Jeremy Crossland

I dont use alcohol or a moisturizer as I was always afraid a moisturizer would only make it worse. I will start with some nivea. I use glycerine based shaving soaps and haven't ever tried tend skin.

I have never used oily hair shampoo; in fact I probably haven't used shampoo in fifteen years. Always seemed pointless, but if the moisturizer doesnt cut it I may give that a whirl.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

Moisturizer will decrease the oil production as @gwsmallwood said. Witch hazel will also help. Shampoo for oily hair is very stripping so I would not recommend it. Selsun Blue shampoo is very good to treat most scalp conditions.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  6. Jeremy Crossland

7. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

When I started shaving my head, I noticed I could smell my scalp a lot more readily than when I let my hair grow out. Simply washing with soap didn't get rid of it. My best luck has been using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner. I've been using it for years.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

http://www.dickinsonsusa.com/witch-hazel-uses/oily-skin/

9. baldone

baldone Member

I third the comment on the moisturizer actually decreasing the oil production. But, to be honest, I think there are those of us who just have oily skin from the factory. What I love, as a bald guy, is being able to go wash my hands and then do a full rub down on my head during the middle of the day to keep the shine down. And now I keep moisturizers in my desk and give myself a rubdown after.