With the grain (WTG) only...your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Rusty blade, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

I too shave the same as you. Will stay that way as long as it works for me.

CyanideMetal and Rusty blade like this.
  2. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

Really, I have found the WTG pass unnecessary. Maybe because I have a light beard, but unless it's been 3 or more days, a WTG pass does nothing as far as taking hair off my face. A two pass XTG and ATG gives me a bbs on the cheeks and a DFS under the chin and below the ears. Good enough for me most days!

3. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

One WTG every shave, and either a second WTG or ATG depending on level of irritation after the first pass. I shave neck only, and usually under the chin gets 2x WTG (down strokes) and lower neck gets one each way (up then down). I haven't yet figured out how to XTG on my neck with the Dovo Shavette. I'll probably stop trying since I get pretty good results with the current routine.

Troy M likes this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Hmmm...you are in the neighbourhood of the carotid artery and jugular vein...tread carefully with the shavette...;)

5. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

I sure will. I have only gone there twice so far, and neither time with any smoothness. Kinda scared. It was easy with the Fusion.

6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Work day's are wtg, and xtg, looks good. May not be totally smooth but it's comfortable. Date nights, and weekends I go atg for the totally smooth feeling. With my Feather MR3 Neo I can even be bbs on a workday without getting a sore face or taking taking a lot of time to do it.

Clayton

Troy M likes this.
  7. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

My normal routine is two pass shave with touch up. First pass is N->S, and second is mostly ear to chin. Neither of these passes are WTG, XTG or ATG exclusively. Trying to go exclusively WTG would be so fragmented due to the swirling direction of my stubble. I'm not even sure it would be entirely possible to fit a pass in a xTG category.

I get some weepers a few times a week. But not much irritation and my skin is much healthier since I've switched to a DESR. My shaves are enjoyable and I like the results I get. I don't get a 100% BBS, but I get a close, comfortable shave that I enjoy. Weekends I'll go three passes usually.

Troy M likes this.
  8. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Since I've discovered the Gillette super adjustable I do two passes and a clean up. its so nice the adjustable can buffer me to a BBS shave. [​IMG]

BeShaved, Papa Roy, Hodge and 3 others like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

after misplacing my first Slim I used the Super adj. for 30 years, still do, great razor and will give you great shaves for many years, Enjoy

oddly enough, in a box of old junk in the basement i was going to toss out , found my Slim in it

BeShaved, Troy M, Joef and 2 others like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Mind if I ride shotgun. You just took the words out of my mouth.

11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Before I retired a single WTG was dictated by time constraints. Now that I have more time than sense, I can do a 3 ++ to my hearts content.

HolyRollah likes this.
  12. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I learned to shave WTG only back in the '50s, that was the generally recommended and accepted method. I have tried XTG and ATG with SE and DE razors only to get irritation, I even tried ATG with a cart which was disastrous. I presently shave WTG with a bit of XTG touch up around my chin and under the nose and get a DFS.

BeShaved, Troy M and Rusty blade like this.
  13. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I shave everyday and do a bit of a rotation. Most days are 1 pass WTG. twice a week I do a second XTG on my face and a second WTG on my neck. Never ATG anywhere. Too much irritation for me.

Troy M and Rusty blade like this.
  14. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I shave WTG then XTG for touch up only in a couple of small areas , have been for several decades. I never shave ATG, in my opinion it's just asking for trouble and completely unnecessary unless you run a professional kissing booth.

Troy M and Joef like this.
  15. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Yep I'm learning real fast not to get to greedy

16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I must have learned to shave N/S way back in the late 70's or early 80's. I picked up the ATG/XTG/WTG idea from these boards when I came back to DE. I went back to N/S passes only with my Gillette New but wasn't as satisfied with the results on my neck. I ended up settling on N/S and S/N passes for the past year. I'm back to consecutive top to bottom passes again with my Blackbird. I always shave my head from front to back only for 2 passes as well.

17. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I do a 2 pass shave which consists of first wtg and followed by xtg on face and another wtg pass on neck and i always get a satisfactory shave

Hodge likes this.
  18. baldone

baldone Member

I can't lie, love going ATG on the back of my head and then I find myself whilst in my thinking pose rubbing my head up and down. If I missed anything I get a little bit bummed, I like that smooth back and forth feel!

BeShaved likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I tried shaving ATG with the blackbird on Saturday in one of my more unwise moments, knowing full well that shaving ATG has never given me good results.

Had a delightful irritation free shave. The following day, Sunday, I completed a normal WTG shave. Monday I woke up looking like a measles victim (from the multitude of ingrown hairs). It now being Wednesday, I think I might be cleared up and back to normal by Friday or Saturday.

20. Swiffer

Swiffer Active Member

I mainly do WTG with some touch ups as well. If I do too many other directions I end up with a closer shave but much more irritation. Not worth it to me.

chrisbd likes this.