Have any of you tried the new version of Tabac Original Cologne

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by SpeedyPC, Jan 27, 2016.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day all,

I know you all Wet Shavers out there love Tabac Shaving Soap come on don't BS me, because yesterday morning I went Chemist Warehouse and bought the new version of Tabac Original Cologne (EDC) 300ml bottle for $30 AUD, and I must say it smell very very clean and wonderful not overpowering this is a simple scent in a solid, honest, no-nonsense kind of way. It has a clean, dry, freshness that works all year round.

New version of Tabac Original Cologne (EDC) 2014 edition see link:- http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Maurer-Wirtz/Tabac-Original-28000.html

The very OLD version of Tabac Original Cologne (EDC) see link:- http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Maurer-Wirtz/Tabac-1748.html

Cheers ;):happy088::happy108:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    What makes you think the new version is nothing more than a label design? That's all I am aware of. If it's a different scent, I would be interested to know about it.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I haven't, but it sounds like Tabac is going the way of Rise-a "new original".

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I haven't tried the new one but I hope they didn't reformulate it.

5. SpeedyPC

G'day the new reformulate version doesn't have the Tabacco smell from the OLD version of the Tabac Original Cologne 1959, because a friend of mind have kept the old bottle cologne and it a little bit different from the NEW cologne version of Tabac and the company wanted to keep the name Tabac Original Cologne so they change the label a little bit different from the link showing above.

Try it and you will not be sorry it's smell great and very clean without the tabacco smell from the old version.

Cheers.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Your first link made it clear that it was a bottle and labeling redesign, not a formula change. I quote, "...Starting from July, Tabac Original has been replaced with the new edition which retained the original composition!..."

It's not surprising that your friend's vintage bottle smells different. Sources (suppliers and locale*) of scents change, and there will be significant changes to the fragrance due to simple age. The top notes tend to go first, so you are probably getting a snootful of the basenotes and midnotes.

*For example, bergamot from Spain will smell different than bergamot sourced from Italy.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. SpeedyPC

@PLANofMAN a friend of mind only had the old version for 3 years and 4 months and the bottle wasn't very old old when he bought it before Tabac release the new version in 2014, and it's not a very old vintage bottle no more than 10 years old and believe me we both can smell the difference and we both can smell a light tabacco scent from the old version. Could you please explain why we both can't smell a light tabacco scent from the new version because their isn't any, and Tabac must have change the formula and for some reason not very many people do like the smell of light tabacco scent from the old version either way than I can't explain via two way forum conversation from Australia and you're from USA.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    BigCabDaddy likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I didn't (don't) care for the 'old' scent of Tabac—but do enjoy the soap's performance.
    I did try the cologne…no thanks!

10. SpeedyPC

@PLANofMAN We both have double checked and he has both The Eau de Cologne (EdC) bottle old and new and no EdT, and the new bottle of Eau de Cologne (EdC) doesn't have the light Tobacco scent and I also check. I guess we both just got lucky.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

From the link you provided:

Tabac Original has been replaced with the new edition which retained the original composition!
    I don't see where it has ever been reformulated.

12. Keithmax

I have never seen anyone admit to reformulating their fragrances. If it has been reformulate then I guess I will have to see if I can find back up of the older formula.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  13. SpeedyPC

@Keithmax good luck Sherlock IF you can find an older formula and May the Force be with you. Because I give up and I'm not going to fight over this issue case close.

14. Keithmax

I am not sure why my response upset you. I did not say if yes or no to if there was a reformulation, I was taking you at face value and there is a change. My experience in collecting perfume is that many have been reformulated and the companies rarely admit to reformulating their products. As the laws in Europe banned or limited the use of some natural ingredients many of the most famous perfumes were reformulated. This has spawned a sizeable market for 'vintage' pre-formulation perfumes. Generally people look to packaging changes etc. to identify the older bottles.

Two examples I have person experience with are Antaeus, Rive Gauche and Jicky. I can't say if it is because of age but there is a difference between the modern version and versions from pre 2000. Rive Gauche is easy to spot, the vintage is in the shaving can tin. That said I have not the chance to to smell the new Tabac so I have no idea if it has changed. If it has hopefully I can find an older version if I prefer the older version.

If you look at Basenotes you can see many netizens wax poetically about old formulations and their disappointment at reformulations. Also a search on the 'bay for vintage perfumes will turn up many hits. One can still buy Chanel No 5 from the 1920's. If you prefer the older Tabac then I am sure they will start turning up on the 'bay and on Basenotes. Much older Tabac is available now on the 'bay, but it's expensive. Since I found it I guess maybe I am 'Sherlock'.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TAB...343762?hash=item3f5b65e3d2:g:V7cAAOSwoydWmhFg
    Moderator's If it is not OK to link to a buy it now then please delete the link.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    BIN's are fine to link to.

16. SpeedyPC

@Keithmax I'm not angry at you all I'm saying is it doesn't make any sense here, and I'm thinking in Australian we live in a completely different climate when we smell two different scent of the Tabac EdC trust me I'm not pulling you're leg no Aussie joke here straight up man to man.

Any way the ebay website you're showing me and I can confirm you my friend doesn't have that type of Vintage Tabac Original version and I'll ask him if he wants to buy it, and see if he can tell the bloody difference in the mean time I can a sure you he's going to let it slide end of conversation.

Cheers.

17. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

The scent of the repackaged soap is slightly brighter than that of its immediate predecessor; the order of the ingredients has also (slightly) changed.
    Anyone have the LOIs of the two EdCs?

18. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Just semantics really but isn't retaining the "original composition" like saying it has everything the original had, and perhaps more!?!

Anyways, done with Tabac and won't revisit that!

19. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

20. SpeedyPC

G'day all,

I went to the original website of Tabac in Germany browsing their website in English and I can confirm they MUST have change the scent formula in all three areas Top, Middle and Base Notes see below screen, when you see the screenshot straight from Tabac own German website three main words showing TOP is top note, HEART is middle note and FOND is base note.

NEW formula scent screenshot straight from the Tabac own German website:-
    [​IMG]

OLD formula scent screenshot:-
    [​IMG]

Finally from what I'm seeing and I have to be correct their is no more light Tobacco scent from the old version any more.

Edit:- And I'm waiting for an email straight from the Tabac company to find out when did they change the formula in 2014.

Cheers ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Metro and Keithmax like this.