Shaving my head with a wet shave/safety razor

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Shotwell, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Just wondering -- how many people shave their heads here with a safety razor? Are there any tips or tricks, or things I should be aware of? So far, I've just used my headblade and various cartridge razors (including, last night, the new Fusion with the ball... very close shave, but had to really lather up good or I got razor burn and nicks). Would love to know if anyone has any advice for someone who has never used a safety razor at all, *and* who is just starting to shave his head.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie give-away HERE
    I've shaved my head with a DE, works great! Same prep as you would your face. I'm sure you'll get tons of good info here in a minute.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs046: to the SHAVE DEN. It's a :signs021: place.

4. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've been using a DE on the dome for just over 2 months. A lot of people will recommend learning on your face before starting on your head. I didn't. I think I actually started on my head before trying the face. I didnt find the learning curve too steep, but here are my beginner recommendations.
    • Start with a mild razor. I went with a Feather Popular, but there are a lot of other good options.
    • Start with a good blade. I would recommend Astra Super Platinum for the first few weeks, then invest in a good sampler.
    • Lather is key. Practice making them if you've never done it, and use the no lather no blade rule. If you decide to use a pre shave oil you can cheat a little on this one, but not much.
    • Be prepared for your shave to take a lot longer. It can take me an hour for a full 3 pass shave on face and head. But the difference is that it's enjoyable. I hated every second of my old 10 to 15 minute routine.

Robyflexx, TomJ89de and 178-bplatoon like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Eric"

6. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Made the plunge with the Micro Touch One. Now on day 3 of head shaving with the DE, using the included Dorco blades. Only a couple of nicks so far, when I didn't go slowly enough or my attention wavered.

Now waiting for a sampler pack to arrive, as well as a couple of Chinese models of razors to arrive from eBay purchases. And I picked up one of the cheap shaving brush/bowl/soap kits from a Walgreen's too, so I could try that instead of the Head Slick by head blade.

7. gwsmallwood

As you start with the brush and bowl, load the soap (rub the brush on it) a lot longer than you think you need to. Like 2 minutes of loading to start with. Then add water very slowly, a couple of drops at a time. Many newbies (myself included at one point) try to conserve soap. Don't. It's not worth it.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Eric's been here along time, this thread is old.

9. gwsmallwood

Good point. Not sure why it popped up in my feed, but I still stand by my earlier advice...

10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 on the pre shave or even shave oil under the lather or cream. I find it helps in sensitive areas like the back of the head or top of head.

11. baldone

baldone Member

OK so this may sound dumb, but in the shaving tutorial videos I find with wet shaving/safety razors, it's always in front of a mirror in a bathroom. I'm a (cartridge) shower shaver with a nice anti-fog mirror, etc. So this AM I started thinking I really do want to buy a safety razor and try this. Do any of you do it in the shower, or with the lather, longer shave, etc., is it just not really doable in the shower?