Intermittent Fasting... 16/8 protocol

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Jan 30, 2016.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hi All,

I've recently become aware of the 16/8 intermittent fasting protocol. Basically, fast for 16 hours (mostly overnight). Have breakfast around lunch time and in the remaining 8 hours eat (within reason) whatever you like (balanced of course). I understand that I can still have my morning coffee (crucial) and all the water /no calorie drinks I want while fasting.

I'm looking to lose the fat and put on muscle. My fat percent isn't bad, it's just higher than I want for weightlifting. I've read that some athletes have had good results especially with losing the fat and putting on muscle and explosive power.

So... the question... anyone have some real-life experience with this "diet"?

Shaver X, Bama Samurai and macaronus like this.
  2. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Certainly not for lifting, but I have good luck with something similar.
    1. Drink at least 16oz of water first thing then wait at least 1/2 hour before drinking/eating anything else.
    2. Do eat breakfast! And only eat until 2-3 in the afternoon assuming normal sleep schedule. Fast until next morning.
    3. Continue drinking water! I try for 80 oz at least
    4. Cutting out sugar helps, to lesser extent caffeine, high protein, fewer simple carbs and processed etc.
    Key thing as far as you're talking is stop eating early in the day and drink a ton of water.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Jim99 and richgem like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Your body burns fuel most effectively earlier in the day. Eat a big breakfast, normal lunch and miserly dinner...in eight hours.

Jim99, Erik Redd and BigCabDaddy like this.
  4. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Lol nobody can get on the same page about nutrition and it really all seems like a shot in the dark

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

My son lost 40 pounds by eating less (no second servings!) and with lower fat and/or/ sugar contents. Took him a few months, but now (a year later) he's feeling and doing great!

My personal opinion is that if you lose weight slowly, the chances are less that the weight bounces back on in a heartbeat... Perhaps because your body slowly gets used to weighing less?

Anyhoo: best of luck to attain your goals! The Minions have their fingers crossed and are sending uplifting thoughts!

BTW, isn't there a herring diet? Never seen an obese penguin before! ;)

6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It's easy sto spot an obese penguin...
    [​IMG]

7. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

What it is they say? "Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, and Dine like a Pauper..." I've been the same weight for 30 year, when people ask me how I keep in trim I tell them it's easy, if you put more calories into your body than you need unless you burn them off they turn into fat it's quite simple, I only have to look at young school children they are ticking timebombs heart disease diabetes there's an epidemic just around the corner waiting to explode in the UK.

CyanideMetal, txskimo and Jim99 like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.png

10. richgem

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There was a time I didn't eat breakfast. Funny, but when I started eating it, I stared loosing weight. It jump starts your metabolism; since your body thinks it is starving, it holds the calories. Metabolism kicks in when you "break the fast."

I did Weight Watchers several years back, more to show support for my wife, but I stood to loose a few pounds myself. I learned portion control and dropped near 40 pounds pretty quick. I pretty much ate what I wanted (never have been a big junk foodie), just smaller portions. In my opinion the worst thing to kill a diet is denying yourself when it comes to taste.

Good luck whatever route you take.

12. richgem

Thanks everyone for the thoughts (and keep them coming). As I sorta said, my weight is good. I just want to bring my fat % down even though it's in a good range for my age and weight. That way, I won't have to seriously diet in the future. Cooking for oneself, it does tend to creep (or is it, crepe?) up on you.

RaZorBurn123 and macaronus like this.
  13. Erik Redd

upload_2016-1-31_17-31-54.png

I got a fitbit on my birthday and just got this badge. I guess if you walk 70 miles to your breeding grounds each year it helps to keep the weight off. Of course, the breeding grounds would be a good incentive to walk 70 miles.

macaronus and richgem like this.
  14. richgem

Congratulations on the award. I'm gonna go out on an ice shelf here tho and guess that you're not going to have any better luck at the penguin breeding grounds. :(

But, thanks for the ride there. :) It's important to conserve one's energy, if you know what I mean. ;) :sexe:
    [​IMG]

macaronus and Erik Redd like this.
  15. Erik Redd

I don't know, if I bring a couple of bottles of Chablis and a bucket of herring I may get lucky..:sexe:

macaronus likes this.
  16. richgem

Hmm... well, looks like it might work. I see you, the girl penguin, but .... where does the owl come in? Aren't you kinda old for a chaperon?

[​IMG]

macaronus likes this.
  17. Erik Redd

The owl is the appetizer.

macaronus likes this.
  18. richgem

Oh, that makes sense. Tastes like chicken, i bet.

macaronus likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Losing weight quickly places the body into starvation survival mode, causing it to work harder to store fat when eating resumes normally. So, you'd be right!

macaronus likes this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Given this, I would go with a high protien breakfast with fruit, then small sensible snacks a couple of times during the day while tending to a good weight lifting regimen, which it sounds like you already have figured out. Lifting burns more cals than just about anything else.

If you're really into it, maybe superst with some interval training, etc. to lose a pound or two.

richgem and macaronus like this.