How adventurous are you with food

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Jul 25, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'll try anything once.

Except don't try to feed me:
    Vegetarian "meat" products (no fake burgers, hot dogs or especially fake bacon, I'd rather eat dog food).

Rotton food (garum, hundred year eggs, and that Scandinavian fish dish)

Bush meat (with a side of Ebola)

and stuff made with coconut milk or coconuts. I don't like the taste or the texture. I'd pretty much starve if I had to live off of Thai food. They seem to put coconut in just about everything.

Kizurra, Bama Samurai, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  2. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Very Adventurous....I was a US Navy Ship's Cook! :happy108:

Kizurra, txskimo and mrchick like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'll put that in my phone, because I know I'll forget it. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Kizurra likes this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've had the good fortune to meet Erik Nording a couple of times, he's a world renowned pipe maker in Denmark. The last time I had the opportunity to speak with him, he was telling me and a couple others about the rotten fish dish you mentioned. He was very fond of it. He also told a joke about it, but I can't repeat here!

Kizurra and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Kizurra likes this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm with you on "veggie" burgers, bacon, and dogs. I frequently enjoy vegetable dinners with my wife's home made cornbread, and my vegetarian daughter made us some vegetarian enchiladas one night that were very good and filling. But those fake burgers, bacon, and dogs are just not good in any way to me!

Kizurra, PLANofMAN and mrchick like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Tell her Seoul is in Sicily and it's Italian Mediterranean

Kizurra and BamaT like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Ha ha, I'm not really sure that will work. But it was a good idea!

Kizurra and mrchick like this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I really live on the edge with my food. I like my eggs sunny side up cooked in bacon grease. Lots of bacon to round out breakfast. Extra real whipped cream in my fresh ground coffee, thank you. And as for steak, a nice T bone medium rare, with fresh shiitake mushrooms sautéed in real garlic, onion and butter. Set it up with a loaded baked potato, and some nice Glenfiddich 18 year old Scotch. Some Disaronno Amaretto and coffee to finish, and you can join me on the edge too.:eatdrink013:

Kizurra, RyX and BamaT like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Big difference between vegetarian dishes and "replacement food." I am with you two.

Kizurra, BamaT, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

What a shame. Someone let this thread go stale.
    Being raised by a Cajun mother and having a childhood dislike for bell peppers. celery, and onions I ate a few PB&J sandwiches in my youth.
    I've made my peace with onions if they are cooked. The other two are OK in a gumbo. And that is an adventure for the uninitiated! Rich brown gravy like soup with an anything goes ingredient list. Best one I've ever made was when a friend was getting ready to move. He had to empty his chest freezer. Being a sportsman he supplied meat from rabbit, squirrel, duck, deer, and I forget what else.
    Change the channel to Asian? Anyone else make their own eggrolls? I enjoy a stirfry when fresh veggies and mushrooms are involved. Got my kids to try stuff when it was hot steaming sizzling out of a wok.

Kizurra, txskimo and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Fred Hill

How about a "ROAD-KILL-COON" with Bar-B-Q Sauce & Mint Jelly?

Kizurra likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Jerky is ok, but that was made on purpose. Only road kill I've ever eaten was a still twitching deer. Folks get used to meat on styrofoam trays in the butchers cooler. Food goes to the next level when you know where it came from.
    Anyone BBQ'ed goat? I hear its quite tasty.
    If I ever catch a racoon or beaver in dads citrus orchard...

Kizurra and Robyflexx like this.
  14. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm horribly lazy in the kitchen...I usually prefer to dump it in a bowl, put it between two slices of bread, or nuke it. Occasionally, I'll put something on the stove. My biggest regret, though, is being unable to convince my landlady to let me bag a half-dozen or so whitewings that frequent our backyard.

Kizurra and Fred Hill like this.
  15. Fred Hill

Include Onions & Garlic, w/ Lemon Juice, & add "Rose-Mary!" If "Rose-Mary" turns you down; "Try A Little Tenderness?" :bounce015::git:

Kizurra likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I saw a weaponized beard in another thread. If you are quiet and choose when to hunt...I'm just saying.

Kizurra, '65 G-Slim and Robyflexx like this.
  17. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I've had goat a few times, parents of my roommate in college raised them. Different texture but I enjoyed the flavor. We had a big smoker and would do fresh goose and duck shot over lake Erie, loved the goose. I will try any food once...you never know.

Kizurra and RyX like this.
  18. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I could throw a squirrel or two into the pot, too. Lots of those fuzzy-tailed rats lurking about here.

Kizurra likes this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

No bugs, eyeballs, gall bladders, etc. I have had " rockey mountain oysters " not half bad with a good dipping sauce! LOL:eatdrink020:

Kizurra likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have two pecan trees, and a BBgun. Takes a couple days to get enough for a full meal. Otherwise they knock all the green nuts down too soon.

Kizurra likes this.