New to wetshaving, any recommendations for a DE Razor for under $30?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Flanigan, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

This discussion is right up my alley as I am looking for exactly the same thing. I am heavily leaning toward a vintage for the craftsmanship involved as well as the nostalgia.

RyX, Flanigan and Morman Bridge like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Going vintage is awesome. My only advice, is to not be so anxious to get your hands on one that you over pay, just to seal the deal. If you are in a hurry to get started, get yourself an inexpensive modern (lots of good suggestions above), then you can take your time looking at vintage an the auction sites.

The BST's on most shave forums seem like the vintage that is offered is fair, and you don't have to wait a week for an auction to end. Buy it Now prices on E Bay and the like are not always the best deal, dollar wise.

Good luck, and have fun.

Flanigan, ob1page and Morman Bridge like this.
  3. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

A Parker 26 O.C. is about $28.00.

Flanigan likes this.
  4. Flanigan

Flanigan Member

Will Do! Thanks! :)
    Hey! thanks for all the feedback :)

I am from the states! Just checkout out both of the links.... The evahs razor looks really nice in the photos! The finish looks great, and it looks really sturdy. I could be wrong, but the Weishi look like it would fall apart... definitely not as sturdy looking as the evahs razor. Have you used either of these razors?

I also checked out the Edwin Jagger Razors on Amazon. They look very nice too... this is going to be tough but I kind of want to just go for it and buy one. I am being thrifty about it now, but I have a feeling I am gonna end up spending lots of money on this new "hobby" haha.

My friend let me use his Muhle (I don't know the model) and it felt pretty nice for a first shave... I think he spent $80 on it at some brick and mortar store. How do these under $30 razors compare to something like that?

5. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Yes sir go vintage Gillette my suggestion get yourself an adjustable this way you can find out how much of an aggressive shaver your skin will tolerate I have tissue paper skin and bought a bunch of razors before I found an adjustable now that I have an adjustable all my other razors are basically gathering dust. Also I found that using an adjustable it really doesn't matter what blade you use.... that is in my opinion anyway

Flanigan likes this.
  6. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

With a non adjustable razor you would adjust your aggressiveness by using different razor blades..with the adjustable you can put any razor blade in it and you adjust your aggressiveness with the razor... it takes a lot of guesswork out of choosing blades

Flanigan likes this.
  7. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I was impressed with the DeFitch df91 for $15 or less on Amazon. Gave great shaves. Solid build.