Thoughts and Questions on DE Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by phillpsych, Feb 11, 2016.

1. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

The other day I received a package with some After Shave and tossed the box. My wife said: "Hey don't you want these razor blades?" My RAD heart skipped a beat and I grabbed 'em up. Astra Superior Platinum. I put one in my Red Tip heavy. First shave I thought the blade was really sharp. Second shave, this morning, was almost perfect. One of the best I've had in a while. Is it just my imagination or are these blades really good? I'd like to hear what you guys like/steer clear of, and also is there a thread on rating blades?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Lots of love 'round here for the Astra SP. Only blade I buy in bulk, and pretty much the only blade in my den. It's one blade that I find works well in all 30+ DEs I use them with.

As for ranking, blades are way too variable when it comes to try and rating them to a standard that everyone can agree.

Jim99, AGHisBBS and JBSharp like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Not your imagination. I've really enjoyed Astra SPs and many folks here use them. I used them a couple of times and been impressed each time.

Blades are a personal journey. You have to try a good many and see what works for you.

Jim99, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Seconded. There are lots of good blades for me, but the Astra SP is what I've settled on as my go-to and the first blade (and so far only) blade I've bought in bulk. For me, exceptionally smooth and durable.

Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Astra SP, are great blades and sometimes overlooked.

6. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I get along really well with the Astra stainless steel, but I get along with the stainless steel version of blades much better than the same platinum coated or chrome blades. Not sure why but how it happens

7. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

I've migrated to ASTRA SP's as my number 1 blade.

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Personna Lab Blue are the best!

YMWV....

9. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Astras are good, but not my favorite. I'm still trying to find my favorite though. So far, it's Polsilver.

10. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Just bought a pack myself, but haven't opened them yet.

JBSharp likes this.
  11. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of love for them from lots of people. I didn't like my first experience but plan to revisit. I'm in the midst of a focus month with another Russian blade (Voskhod) and I've come to realize that QC might not be all that great with quite a bit of variation from blade to blade. Hence, the revisit.

RyX likes this.
  12. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I don't think I've seen anyone truly hate the Astra SP. At worst some people say it's not their #1 blade.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Astra SPs are very good blades. I also enjoy the American made Personna Blues.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 those Personna blades are super sharp and so smooooth. :happy069:

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I guess we haven't met even though we share a last name. ;) I came near hate from my first go round with SPs. I plan to revisit though.

16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I've been shaving with Astra SPs exclusively for the past month (after using Feathers exclusively for the last 3 years and I can say two things: I can shave 5 days consecutively comfortably, and these blades made me like my Merkur HD again.

phillpsych and Robyflexx like this.
  17. kdkelly

kdkelly Well-Known Member

Astra SP blades are my "standard". Anytime I purchase a razor they are the first blade I put in. They seem to me to be the most predictable blade. I have gotten the very rare bad blade but it seems to happen less with Astras than others. This makes it easier to judge the shave differences in the razor & then I can go from there. They're not the sharpest (but close). They're not the smoothest (but close). They're not the cheapest (but close). They're not the longest lasting (but close). What they are, IMO, is the best balance between cost, availability & shave quality.

phillpsych likes this.
  18. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Interesting, i like astr sp, and i also feel the second shave with them is a bit more smooth as well

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I regularly use AstraSP's and almost always find the second shave better than the first. Must be a Twilight Zone thing. Don't you hear the TZ music while shaving?

20. phillpsych

phillpsych Active Member

Today was shave 6 with the same AstraSP I used and posted about. Honestly, I either have a great blade in particular, or this brand is just great... because shaves 2 through 6 have all been excellent. This morning's shave as smooth as can be. I'm really thrilled with this find. (I'm also testing a Rapira Swedish Super Steel... it's great too, but not like the AstraSP.)

BigCabDaddy likes this.