Comb or Solid - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Feb 14, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

What's the difference, in terms of a shave, between a comb-bar razor and a solid-bar razor? The comb-bars are all early razors, aren't they? I'm wondering why this was and what prompted the change in production to solid bars. Are solid-bars better? My 'old type' is a comb-bar and I am getting a great shave, but then my 'Slim' is a solid-bar and that gives me a great shave too. Confused. Thanks.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and Jayaruh like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This is only a guess, but men were taking off more hair in the form of sideburns, mustaches, etc, back then, to which open comb lends itself much better than a safety bar (OC won't clog). Once clean-shaved became the order of the day, the safety bar became the usual.

More likely, though, they realized that stamping out a safety bar bottom plate was easier than having to machine or cast heads with individual teeth.

AGHisBBS, Jim99, Robyflexx and 3 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My face can't tell any difference.

AGHisBBS, dangermouse and Jayaruh like this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

You can still buy OC's. As Gorgo says, back in the "old days" people couldn't shave every day and an OC is good for shaving longer hair, so they made sense. You can still buy new OC's. Off the top of my head, Merkur and Cadet still make them. Others likely do too. If I haven't shaved for a week an OC is easier to use for me than a bar razor. Like anything else in shaving, it's all YMMV.

AGHisBBS, Jim99, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  5. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

Open combs fell out of fashion partly because drops would bend and break teeth.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and dangermouse like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

I've never owned one but I really do like the idea of the semi-open comb...LC NEW style teeth with a thin bar running just along the edges of them. Take off any amount of facial growth but a lot less worry about dropping and breaking teeth.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like all my razors, but if I could only have one, it would be my English NEW LC.
    lcnew_ballends.jpg punch_handle19.jpg

AGHisBBS, Jim99, preidy and 9 others like this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I gravitated towards open combs through experimentation and now it's mostly what I use. I think they're aesthetically pleasing and shave me closer and don't clog easily. :)

9. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Those are nice razors Jayaruh. I would like to get a Gillette old. I haven't idea if they shave well, I just like them because they are old. The ones you picture are very nice looking. It's encouraging that you find they work well too. Any opinion on the Gillette old?

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The OC razors seem to be a bit more agressive, but can get extremely close shaves. Just have to be a bit more careful.

11. dangermouse

Ah, now that makes some sense.

AGHisBBS and Karl G like this.
  12. Robyflexx

How often were people dropping razors!? If this was a problem I would hate to see what their faces looked like! :happy097:

AGHisBBS, Jim99, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  13. dangermouse

AGHisBBS, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  14. dangermouse

Mmm okay, that's a really good point.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

:)

AGHisBBS, Karl G and dangermouse like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I would probably guess manufacturing costs. Less tooling with a stamped safety bar, than with open combs.

That being said, the beauty of a Gillette #15, Gillette ABC, or a Gillette Big Fellow, is hard to beat. Open combs are great to look at, and they are usually more aggressive, than the safety bar models.

AGHisBBS, Karl G and dangermouse like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The OTs are pretty aggressive. They were made for a different type blade than modern blades. You can get great shaves if you use a very light touch and get the angle right. My first experience with an OT left my skin pretty irritated. The NEWs however are great shavers without the irritation.
    This is my one and only OT.
    old_type07.jpg
    old_type07.jpg old_type10.jpg old_type13.jpg old_type14.jpg old_type15.jpg

AGHisBBS, Jim99, preidy and 3 others like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

False. I have a Sheraton, a Merkur 11C, a Grafco (an old Merkur make) - all extremely mild. I have an Old Type that waits for you to stop paying attention for the slightest moment so it can bite you; very aggressive.

Just as there are mild and agressive bar ("closed" comb) razors, there are mild and agressive Open Comb razors. A bar, or lack there of, makes no difference.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  19. Drawer

Drawer Well-Known Member

Oh. It makes sense that the blades would be different. I was actually surprised that you can still get DE blades or new razors at all. I guess I will have to collect several and see how it goes.

20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I have an open comb. It is different from a safety bar razor in that the blade sits flat against the razor. That is, there is no gap anywhere on the blades. This makes it impossible for the blade to cut anything where the teeth are, it only cuts between the teeth. It's a very safe kind of razor to use, and some women's razors are based on this design. As has been mentioned, it's effective for long hair areas. It is less than ideal for shaving the face, however, because of the lack of ability to control blade angle, and because the comb design means you need multiple passes to clear an area. DSC_1279.JPG
    Open comb on the left showing how the blade is sandwiched between the comb and cap.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016