What's The Longest You've Owned A Car?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Jim99, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used to have a car with a stick that I was driving around Manhattan years back. What a PITA! I know what you mean.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I might be going a little off topic, but...

Considering the forced obsolescence that auto manufacturers and most other facets of society force on us nowadays, it's amazing that we've held onto these cars as long as we did. I guess that says something about us and also the price of new cars. I know that new cars are safer, more efficient and have more bells and whistles, but that's all reflected into the price. Every time I get into my old Mustang and look at the crank up windows, stick shift, AM radio with one speaker, the engine compartment where I can actually see the engine and the only seat adjustments are to move it forward and back, I think to myself that other than safety features, what else do I really need. Well, a new Shelby GT350 would be nice!

3. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Going on 15 years with my 01 Subaru Outback. I'm also on my 4th head gasket so I'm hoping to trade it in this year before I have to have it changed again or dump anymore money into it.

4. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

4 years?
    First: lasted 2 months before I totaled it.
    Second: 2 years... Totaled by deer
    Third: 2 years drove till it died and wasn't worth fixing
    Fourth: had it 3 1/2 so far. 2009 Suzuki SX4 with now 133k

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Sixteen years. I have never owned a car for less than ten years, and have only owned three cars in my life (not counting the fourth I bought last month). My approach is to buy quality things, take good care of them, and make them last forever.

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

About 5 years, with my first car, a Pontiac 6000. Made it from Boston to Washington DC, but ran into some problems a little while after that.

Jim99 likes this.
  7. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

Howdy! I have a Ford 250 pickup since 2003 with 310,000 miles on it. Still drive it to and from work. It has been a great vehicle.
    Always, Gene

Jim99 likes this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

14 years. 2002 GMC Yukon. Only has 95,000 miles. Not even broken in.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

34 years. 73 914 2L purchased in 1982.

Greg W.

jb2016, Jim99 and barbersurgeon like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You broke my record!

11. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

4 years ago I sold my wife's first car a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Great car that got a lot of use and years out of it.

Jim99 likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    13 years for my 2003 F-150. (70K)

Redrock likes this.
  13. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Forgot to mention I also have a 1999 Ford Ranger that I inherited about 5 years ago. It only has about 65,000 miles on it though.

14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpeg We keep our vehicles till they drop, and currently we have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited with 104,000 miles on it and a 2001 Lexus RX300 with only 80,000 miles. We have had them since new, and God willing, for a long time to come. Here is a picture I took in September of my daily driver. It's been tricked out with K&N intake, Borla stainless exhaust, and 255x18 Pirelli tires on custom wheels. Still drives like new, just faster:eatdrink013:

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Looks rockin' you put a K&N CAI in it? Must sound wicked now! :bounce015:

Jim99 and ObiDon like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I love those wheels.

ObiDon and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I bought a 1986 t-bird New Years back. It had th 5.0 V8. Awesome car! 10 years and 150,000 miles later, I sold it to pay for a fence at my new house. It ran great!

GSlim66 and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I put 15 years and a quarter million miles on a 1998 Toyota Corolla. The car is still on the road, I gave it to my nephew in 2013.

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  19. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

My buddy loaned me his 81 Ford Taurus. 516,789 miles. No joke. Thing is a rolling deathtrap with a rattle to match, but she does roll

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Over half a million miles? Wow! I think he got his money's worth out of that one.