Share This Page

gssixgun

At this point in time..., Male, from North Idaho Redoubt

Probably in the shop making SR's Shiny and Sharp May 25, 2018

gssixgun was last seen:
Mar 28, 2024 at 11:59 AM
    1. FireHoseJockey
      FireHoseJockey
      I see you are from Sandpoint, ID. Do you have any contact with the company "Grim Blades"? If so, what is your thought of them?
      1. gssixgun
        gssixgun
        I have nothing to do with them...
        Nov 28, 2013
      2. FireHoseJockey
        FireHoseJockey
        So, stay away from their sites and blades?
        Dec 1, 2013
    2. huckelberry hound
      huckelberry hound
      I hope you have a very happy birthday Glen!
    3. 4geese2
      4geese2
      Do you have and suggestions on how to bring them back to proper finish before I try and Hone them.. Thanks
    4. 4geese2
      4geese2
      I have a couple of questions for you I see you post very good advise. My Uncle passed away and left me 6 Wade and Butcher Sheffield Eng 2 George Worstham &Sons medium hollow 2 Case and some what appear to be French names. The blades are fine just can't read the writing well. Some of the blades are nearly pristine and have a excellent finish some are dark and what I would call tarnished but not pitted.
    5. cpool222
      cpool222
    6. Trevor
      Trevor
      Hi! thanks for info i watched one of your videos. I watched many other videos that showed the finishing technique. but none as clear as yours on how to get er done. Thanks! i'll keep you posted when my new stones come in
    7. Strad84
      Strad84
      Glen - I have read in some of the posts that you will hone razors - how do you estimate the cost for getting a razor shave ready?
      Thanks!
    8. hoglahoo
    9. Jaymo
      Jaymo
      You come highly recommended.

How much would you charge for honing this razor for me?
      It has a row of small nicks in the edge about 1.4" wide, about 1/2" from the point.
      I had to look closely to see the nicks. Like tiny serrations. I'd love to be able to shave with this one. I'm new to str8s and really enjoyed shaving with it.
      I'm well versed in DE/SE/Injector razors and have wanted to try str8s for a while. I'm ready to jump in, now that I have my safety razor technique perfected.
      I like that the str8 cuts a swath twice as wide as a safety razor, and was a lot easier to use than I had thought.
      I collect knives and safety razors, and str8s are another great instrument to add to my collection.
      How do you like the Dovo str8s? I'm thinking about getting a shave ready Dovo 6/8 to start out with.

Thank you for your time.

Jeremy
      1. Howard
        Howard
        Dovo razors are very nice razors. They have a reputation for being hard to hone but I've never understood why. They respond well to the Shaptons.
        Dec 15, 2011
    10. Jaymo
      Jaymo
      I have a straight razor I need to get made shave ready. I also need info on it, if possible.
      On the blade is etched "Queen Razor".
      Next to that, on the tang is stamped Warranted
      Hollow Ground
      Germany

On the back of the tang is stamped "J. Cumberbirch"
      It's a 6/8 round point with thin, polished black scales. I'm not sure about the scale material. Maybe Bakelite. Maybe black horn. Maybe celluloid. Not sure.
      The scales look to have a little lip around the edge, as if the were molded.
      Do you know anything about this razor? I picked it up at a gun show a few years ago. I paid 5 or 10 dollars for it.
      I shaved with it last night, WTG, whole face, except for chin. Though it's not considered shave ready, it did a great job.
    11. zwaldo
      zwaldo
      hi, I was wondering if i could bring your attention to my post I just made.
      http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21502

didn't know if you'd be interesting in helping me out by refurbishing this razor? I'd really like it to be shave able, but if not then maybe restored enough to just "look" like it's shavable and I can put on display ?
    12. STRAIGHT RAZOR 13
      STRAIGHT RAZOR 13
      Hi glen its me John. just stoping by to say hi.
    13. Zen Master Kool-Aid
      Zen Master Kool-Aid
      Thanks so much for the gorgeous razor, Glen!
  • About

Birthday:
    June 25
    Home Page:
    http://www.gemstarcustoms.com
    Owner "Gemstar Custom Razors"
    Razor Restoraholic

Boating, Hunting, Shooting, UTV

Signature

"No amount of money spent on a Stone can ever replace the value of the time it takes learning to use it properly"

Always V/R (very respectfully).... Glen

Honing / Restoration / Occasionally Razors for Sale
    at

www.GemStarCustoms.com