1 for shaving and 1 to collect? Lady G's and color loss

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by VictoriaRose, May 22, 2013.

?

1 or 2?

1. 2, one for shaving and one for collecting

18.8%
  2. 1, you're being silly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8, 2 of each color!

81.3%
  1. VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose New Member

Hey y'all =] I'm victoria and I'm new to all of this business. I have just received my first non-disposable razor ever, a blue lady gillette, in the mail today. It looks to be almost mint, not a scratch on it!

My issue is, I feel like my new razor should be on a pedestal to be admired and never to get wet. Which is crazy talk right? It's a razor. In all of my shave forum lurking I have read at least twice about people cleaning their Lady G's and losing color from the chemicals/scrubbing, and it seems soap scum likes to head right to the stars where paint loss would be a problem. I'm wondering if I should find one just as clean but a little less pretty for daily use, so I don't hurt it? Does anyone else have separate copies of the same razor for using/collecting? Have any of you noticed a color loss in yours over time? I mean it's a razor, it's meant for a purpose. I feel ridiculous. :ashamed001: I've literally been taking it out and admiring it every hour or so since it arrived. Is this how acquisition disorder happens?

(guys are welcome to chime in, I chose to post here because the lady gillette is the only razor I've heard of with colored paint that comes off with regular use/cleaning and I thought I might get the most answers about this particular razor here). =] Thanks.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den! Be sure to sign up for our May Newbie Give-Away.

Second, no, you're not crazy.

Although I have no personal experience with any color loss on a Lady Gillette, I'm sure using any harsh chemicals and/or polishing compounds would take the color off. I use Scrubbing Bubbles on all my razors and haven't noticed any issue with color loss on the painted numbers of my adjustable razors, another place soap scum likes to gather.

I really don't have much of a problem at all with scum build up, although I've noticed that creams will leave more of a film than soaps, and I prefer using soaps. After every use I take the blade out wipe down the razor with my towel.

Hopefully others with more experience with their Lady Gillettes will chime in with some advice.

Again, welcome!

3. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Welcome to TSD! :wave:

I don't have any experience with LGs & other painted metal razors, but many people who have Gillette Red/Blue/Black Tip razors with paint loss have excellent results touching up the paint with something like Testors hobby paint. I've used uv-cure gel nail polish on metal with great results too.

If you don't use harsh abrasives or boil your razors, I don't see any reason why your beautiful LG won't stay lovely. However, if it's important to you to have the original paint (vs a DIY touch up) in case you do lose paint, you can find user-grade blue LGs very inexpensively.

image.jpg

FacialCarnage likes this.
  4. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD, I know exactly where your coming from.

5. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

I've never had that problem with Lady Gillettes that I've noticed but they are not used/cleaned all that much (see below).

I voted for 8 in your poll too, but I'm probably not the person to ask, see here.

JRod22 likes this.
  6. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I take my razors and my brushes out just to look at all the time, in fact I keep most of them on my desk just for that purpose. To be honest, I even like to smell my brushes :D I don't have extra gear just to collect, however I try to take care of the ones I have and I do keep two of my family razors in a box out of the way because I'd like to keep them the way they are. If it makes you happy to have an extra gear that's fine, we completely understand. Other people outside the shaving world will probably think your crazy though. :happy102:

BigT and ohpaos like this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have bought\sold about 6 Lady Gillette razor in the past year or so, the only problem I have seen on any that looked like they were well used was mostly spotting or plateloss on the head. That would not be an issue if the razor was dried after use. The handles are really robust and should last a long time with use, I have never seen one with paint loss anywhere except in the stars on the handle that can be easily repainted. The blue knuckled part of the handle is not painted it is anodized. The only problem with blue part was someone soaked their razor in Oxi Clean. It removed the blue part down to bare metal, so don't do that.

JCD, 178-bplatoon and ohpaos like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Nothing wrong with having one to use & one to display. But it's only fair to warn you that the folks here will do our very best to encourage and enable your AD's (Acquisition disorders.) So if you want to be talked out of buying shave-related stuff, we can't help you.

burnout961, BigT, ohpaos and 2 others like this.
  9. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Yea, this isn't your best forum for logical restraint. :D

burnout961, Sara-s and ohpaos like this.
  10. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Victoria!

11. Craig12

Craig12 Member

Welcome to the den. I'm new as well to wet shaving. I wish my wife took some passion in shaving. She uses disposable Venus razors (not cart. Venus). Anyway, I never heard of the LG and looked up some pics. Very nice razor.

Everyone here is very helpful, but after a week of shaving, I already have the urge to scope out the antique mall by my work

12. VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose New Member

Wow thanks everyone!
    Well that's sad, I think I like creams more. Or well what I have is whipped soap, about the consistency of a cream. I'll just have to make sure and clean it every time.

Ooh I like these ideas! To be honest I'm pretty obsessed right now so I'll probably try and get a set of the colors with original paint, and try touch up ideas for the razor i use. Thanks!

Sweet Jesus :smiley respect:

Glad i'm not the only one! I'm sure people will think I'm crazy; they think my boyfriend is crazy for his straight razor obsessions and he's a dude so I think he has more of an excuse in their eyes to invest so much in shaving haha. So far my interest is being kept on the downlow :D

Won't do that:scared001:

Haha that's ok, the only thing I'm drawn to so far is the different color Ladys. Well and all the soaps and creams and blades but if I limit the expensive collecting part to this one thing I think I'll be ok. And maybe a straight razor eventually...

All I had ever used was disposable Venus razors until now, when my boyfriend won me over with how pretty and girly the Lady G's are and how much cheaper blades are compared to packs of disposables. And the promise of smoother shaves and less dry skin if i switch from canned shaving cream. That and he showed me this video:

I bet you can win her over =] just be prepared to then share your stuff.

13. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

:happy102: You'll fit right in here! :happy088:

14. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I have a Gillette black handled super speed that I used Testors flat black on after cleaning and polishing it, and it came out looking great. Testors paints are easy to find in the model section of hobby shops, they come in a vast array of colors, and they're pretty good at standing up to casual abrasion and soap scum.

[​IMG]
    This was after only some slight touch ups and before a thorough polishing.

ohpaos likes this.
  15. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

:signs046:to the DEN Victoria!

16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here. We are all a little nuts here, so you won't stand out too badly.

ohpaos likes this.
  17. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

That video is getting emailed to SWMBO. Nice find there. Maybe that will convince her to let me shave her legs and/or to at least think I less of a weirdo. :happy097:

ohpaos likes this.
  18. VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose New Member

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming =]

That looks great!

Or she will still think you're a weirdo and also then blame you for making her a weirdo =]

srpavko likes this.
  19. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Welcome to the asylum. It's easy to forget that these beautiful things we think of as art, are actually tools yearning to be used. I think of my den like Toy Story. They just want to be played with!!! Can't hurt their feeling now!

ohpaos and Leo K. like this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Victoria....I hope you enjoy it here...:)

Remember you don't have to shave with every razor you collect, you have the beginnings of a nice collection....Don't be worried,but I think you have RAD!! Nice to have another lady here....:)