$1200 Brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by groffjj, Mar 13, 2010.

1. groffjj

groffjj New Member

Hey, it's my first day on here and I've been having a blast looking around. I've been learning a lot and having some laughs. Some of you guys and gals are hilarious. I came across this thread from Christmas 2007 and thought I would take a look. Amazing: $1200 for a brush?!? I read through all the comments THEN I took a look at the link. I figured it would be a dead link, but it actually came up.

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but I found it interesting and thought I'd let everyone know that that same brush is still being sold, but now it's only $600. A real steal. Only half the price it was just over two years ago.

check it out at:
    http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/product.php?product=54005&group=7

2. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

First off, Welcome to The Shave Den!!!!!!!

Now about the brush: what a bargain!! :rolleyes:

AOS is notorious for overpriced items (except their soaps and creams).

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I disagree. The soaps and creams are overpriced too. Admittedly, only mildly overpriced and very good creams (and I expect the soap is also good but I'm yet to dish out the money to try it).

4. groffjj

groffjj New Member

Thank you, I'm glad to be here. I'm a newbie to the de shaving scene as well--actually haven't made a purchase yet, but looking around for tips, techniques, and advice.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, you can't really expect the billionaires of this world to use the same "cheap" brushes we use, now do you? :D

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Meh a genuine ivory Plisson still costs more :happy102

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

:sihns011

The soaps are also really, really good :happy088

8. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Got my eye on a nice brush, its only 120 Dollars or so. Any road, even if I had this sort of money to waste I don't think I could justify it to myself.
    Why silver as well, if your going to go for it to make a silly price brush it would have to be solid gold. Silver does react, gold's inert, so to me it would be a better choice.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Plutonium would be better. Wouldn't need a razor. Lather up and your hair would just fall out.

10. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Lets go for it, how about Cesium (looks a bit like gold) then when one adds water one could just blow ones head off :happy102 except it would melt before it would make a handle :(
    silly me

11. Uncle Chewbacca

Uncle Chewbacca New Member

I agree with those who say the Art of Shaving is overpriced. They charge $30 for their shave soap with wood bowl when right next door at C&E they charge $18 for the same thing! They also had the audacity to tell me that their products are consistently the best and others like the Gentleman's Refinery (which I use) don't compare. I went there once to look at the Futur and they wouldn't take me seriously and were asking $50 more than any place online. The people can be smug and don't take time to talk to you unless you have scheduled a shave shave or are dressed like an elitist.

The associate at AOS knew he made a mistake when he asked me what time it was as if he was running late and saw what watch I was wearing. Never going back there again. Tools.

:angry037

12. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Welcome, hows the weather treating you up there in Grand Prarie? This is an amazing group of people with an immense amount of knowledge. Enjoy your stay!

13. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

Has anyone inquired about volume discounts? For examle, maybe if you order 24 or more the will knock $5 off each brush.

14. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

The AOS sandalwood shave soap is an excellent tallow soap with very good sandalwood EO. 22 for the refill puck. One of the best soaps I have ever used and I will always have a puck of this stuff.

15. groffjj

groffjj New Member

HaHaHaHa. What are ya gonna do with 24 $1200 brushes?!? Maybe I'm showing my newbie statues? Some of you probably have 24 brushes in rotation. lol.

16. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

Obviously you are a newbie, and will be until you have $50k invested. :happy102

17. rvd666

rvd666 New Member

lol

18. johnmrson

johnmrson Member

You can some really nice antique solid silver brushes for alot less than that. Get it re knotted with a top quality badger knot and you're still streets ahead. I much prefer vintage gear but I'm not adverse to some of the modern shaving implements.

19. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

kinda reminds me of a $300 pair of Chuck Taylors I saw on ebay once

20. noimjosh

noimjosh New Member

I don't remember where, but I definitely came across a straight edge razor online that was made of Mammoth Tusk Ivory...