15 sticks of Arko for $7.24, Delivered!

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by 5Savages, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That's one of the green "Marvy" mugs. Great little guys to have around and dirt cheap to boot. My wife has one for her shower shaving endeavors.

Hanzo likes this.
  2. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I'll have to get one and do like Hanzo with the slices of Arko in the mug.

Tallowy goodness...

images.jpg

Hanzo likes this.
  3. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Too bad for them! I placed an order just before it jumped to $17.24!!

4. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

My order was shipped. If this was a pricing error they are honoring it.

BossManBill likes this.
  5. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Mine shipped as well. Hope nobody got fired over this.I remember years ago Air France made a similar error and for about a half hour sold tickets from NY to Paris at a low price. They also honored the tickets.

6. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

I'm not totally convinced it was a pricing error. My hillbilly logic leads me to believe this was sold and shipped at cost.

From watching video reviews it appears it cost 50 pence per stick in England. Per stick is usually about twice the case price.. which is usually about a 100% mark up unless it's just flying off the shelf.

7. Barrylu

Shipping for 15 sticks of soap should be about $6. Which means we are getting 15 sticks of soap $1.24 or about .08 per stick with packaging. Seems awflly low to this city boy.

8. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

Mine shipped also!

9. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Mine has not, yet. But I also order some blades as well. Thanks 5Savages..

10. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

Assuming we all pay the same for shipping.. If memory serves it's almost $2 cheaper to use ebay's mailing label slapped onto a flat rate box vs a hand written one. I have to believe Amazon gets some kind of deal too.

11. Barrylu

Actually Amazon is not selling the item. So the vendor is also paying a commision to Amazon which I did not add into my origional cost accounting.

12. drew23

drew23 Active Member

I sell on Amazon from time to time. Since I am a small time seller Amazon sets my shipping, when I sell an item they charge the sale price plus shipping to the customer, Then they take their cut out of the sale. Once they get their cut you are responsible for shipping. If you get a 4.99 credit and it cost you 2.00 to ship you made a little extra, if it is big and cost 8.00 to ship you just lost profit. Then you wait 2 weeks to get your money. Amazon is a strange game...

I would guess it is a mistake or they use a auto price match program and it made a mistake. One of the two. I don't think profit could be made at that price counting the fees and free shipping. Just my 2 cents.

13. puros_bran

puros_bran Active Member

EBay doesn't sell the items I use their service for either, yet I still get their discount...
    Anywho, I've been wrong before so who knows, It's all speculation and it doesn't really matter... What does matter is We got a good deal. :)

14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Mine shipped too! Hard to imagine they made anything on that deal.

15. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have so much envy because of that sterilizer in the background.

16. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

Sometimes Amazon Marketplace vendors will list a limited quantity of an item at very low prices in the hopes of boosting feedback ratings & reviews. I don't know if that's the case here or if it was a pricing error, but either way, it'd be nice to leave feedback for the seller.

17. drew23

drew23 Active Member

Mine shipped today along with my blades.. Waiting in the mail now.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Look around likely spots in your part of the country for them, both barbers and doctors office sterilizers seem the same in certain periods. I have bought several on ebay over the years, they are easy to strip and refinish and except for the sterilizer decal the glass is easy and cheap to replace, shipping should be $20.00 .There are several styles of barber sterilizer early ones are oak later ones look like veneer , some of the early ones feature 3 sides of glass, they would make the best for displaying things. They list them under " barber cabinets" or " vintage sterlizers" on ebay. Three years ago vintage barber sterlizers on ebay were $50 to $100 now they start at $100 and go up to $250 sometimes more, greedy folks piling on a trend of a few big sales. Nice ones are also on Etsy but same high prices unfortunately ,but who knows maybe you can haggle a deal if you need to.

19. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I have been looking for a while now have had no luck so far. I didn't think of looking on esty but have seen them on ebay. The prices go way to high for me to justify buying one. I thought of building one and saved pictures from ebay as a guide. The decal wasn't the problem I talked to a local sign maker. He said he could make me one at a reasonable price . The hinges are the hard thing when going that route. No modern hinges looks right to me.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Most of those cabinets have offset hinges it seems . You can find them on ebay under " vintage hinges" or buy good reproductions from " The House of Antique Hardware." Funny I bought a different kind of barber cabinet and the copper hinges looked bad so I trashed them ,thinking I could take one and match it to a set , you know at Home Depot. :shocked029: I didn't realize that Art Deco offset hinges from the 40's are no longer made. lol

But making a cabinet like that would be easy and a small percentage of the sterilizer cabinets and back bar cabinets were actually made locally for the barber rather than produced by barber supply companies and bought . One trick I did was to have cheap mirror glass cut and placed them at the back and on the floor of the cabinet which seemed to make it a bit nicer.