$19 horsehide strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Nov 8, 2010.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team

Attached Files:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have one that looks just like it, but I paid even less for it...I think it is branded "Selective."

I am not strop savvy, so I dunno about the quality. I can mail you mine to try if you like...

3. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

A better option would be to get the Filly strop from RupRazor for $22.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's O.K. stingraysrock, I don't need another strop, I have my grandfather's strop, it's still in perfect condition and I use it every weekend.

TstebinsB, in what way is the Filly strop a better option? it's made from cowhide and only 2" wide.

Attached Files:

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

Does anyone have a Sportsman's Warehouse near them? They have one near their knife section for like 10 or 15 bucks. It's pretty plain jane, but like the poster above, I'm not "strop savvy".

Just wondering if it's any count.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Don't know that strop but for $10 I'd be suspicious about its quality.Most guys on forums whether this one or SRP , Straight Razor Place, the no. 1 forum for the straight razor hobby, are just apt to recommend a maker, seller, vendor they know is making available quality strops . Never seen anyone recommend a $10 strop.

Tsebins knows the straight razor world well , so his recommendation of the Filly strop as a starter is sound advice. Ken Rup's stuff whether razors or strops have a good rep for economy with function . There still might be a vid of Mr. Rup at SRP giving honing demos as well as talking about strops which might familiarize him for you.