1904 Double Ring

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Feb 23, 2009.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Yes, but it was definitely more than I have ever spent on a rescue. I never buy anything off eBay. Almost never. There was that one British NEW that I wanted to try. I ended up selling it for my cost to someone who was wanting one badly. I'm not really a hardcore collector, although I do have several pieces I have grown found of. I just love searching them out and learning about them. I buy whatever I find that I can try out and eventually look to find them a home where they can be enjoyed and better afforded.

I guess I'm the Indiana Jones of razors. :D

2. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:1respect

That's always something in the back of my mind when I hit antique shops....is there really a chance I could come upon something really rare, or are they all accounted for and on eBay already?

Thanks for reminding us that they are still out there, and for sharing the awesome photos.

Trade for a Blue Tip? :happy102 :happy102 :happy102

3. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I guess they may be out there, but this one wasn't one of those $20 steals. The owner knew what it was and it was priced as such, but it still needed to be somewhere else other than that crowded shop cabinet. And I'm the sucker that can't pass up a rescue, especially when it is a Gillette.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sweet find!

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

oh, I knew that once I read about you making a deal with SWMBO...that usually involves major coin.... but just knowing that they're out there at all is enough to keep me searching....I enjoy the hunt. :)

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Thanks, Chris. I just wish I could talk SWMBO into my keeping it long term, but I am enjoying it for now while I do own it. I even caught her reading the booklet last night. She has even admitted that the set is impressive and that's saying a lot coming from someone that refers to my "dumb razors" laying all over the house in various stages of cleaning, polishing, repair or posed for pictures.

;)

7. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Man, you gotta keep that baby. Just find some more razors like fatboys and stuff at the antique stores where they can be found cheaply and sell them. After a little while you'll break even.

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

Amazing! Despite your humble self-assessment, you are indeed a collector extraordinaire! And exceedingly generous to boot. Thanks for sharing!

9. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

A beautiful razor indeed!

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That thar is good advice!! It is a keeper.

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You're preachin' to the choir here. I would love to keep it. But, that unfortunately wasn't part of the deal made with SWMBO. Just being able to see it up close, hold it, and yes, very soon even use it, is more than most of us of meager means can ever hope for.

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well - there is definately something to that logic! I had an aunt who was a 'birder' and she made note of each new siting. I kinda do that when I find a razor I can't really afford but have never handled before. I play with it and poke it a bit and add to my 'siting' list! So I got what yer saying.

When you go to use it - I have a single ring I want to use but have not yet. I heard people put shims in so the blade comes off the guard. Do you know if this should be done or do you just pop a blade right in there??

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Pop that blade right in! I also have a 1919 gold Single Ring that I found for a fraction of the Double and a 1920 Bulldog, also a bit of a steal, that I use and have never needed a shim. In fact, many people don't realize this, but the Bulldog, Double and Single Ring Old Types were also the first truly adjustable double edge razors. A slight quarter turn or so open after tightening will slightly raise the blade off the comb and produce more exposure. I haven't found this necessary, though. Just be very attentive and deliberate during the shave and I guarantee you'll get a great one out of it.

14. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Excellent news AG!! I am going to use it first thing tomorrow morning!! Just pop it in eh?? Ok - will do!

(I don't remember where I saw this shim thing but I read that the blades at that time were thicker and that the blade bevel would provide for clearance from the guard. The new blades being so thin would not do that. But, I shall just pop away!! I have developed a "Shades of Pink Cream Color Scale, or SOP-CCS" to determine success!)

Did Gillette promote this slight turn/adjustable idea or did that just come along by discovery from users - do you know??

I hope you don't mind me hijacking a tad here, but it is all based on your stunning razor find. So...

All righty - a new razor shave in the morning!:signs021

15. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Great razor & nice pix too! You know, I had sort of picked up, somewhere in the past few months, that the very early Gillettes were kinda pricey- but hadn't realized just *how* pricey! $5, in 1904, :eek: was semi-serious $$. Probably not near as serious as what you had to pay for it though.:D

Love that little note about trading in 12 old blades for 6 new ones;) And *please* let us know how it shaves.:cool:

16. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Here are some Ad´s from the Doublering. The first one is from 1904, the second one from 1905:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I guess yours didn't come with the little dwarves eh??

Great ads to go with the razor. Nice addition.

Mr Razor - I have a canadian made old style with the cdn patent date of 1905 - do you know anything about these? It has a sn of 956794 so I am hoping to get a sense of the date of manufacture. Any thoughts? I haven't even figured out when the Montreal plant opened - whether it was before or after the patent date or what.

18. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

That SN would place it in 1907.

19. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I've said it before - and I'll say it again - you never fail to impress Sir!!

1907 - excellent - I have my first over a century old piece!! Ya! (do you have a list of SNs for CDN razors you could share?)

(off note - I am in love with that dern pottery hull OS mug you are selling - not my time for the dough though :()

20. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Ok, so I was late by a day. Today I shaved with the "Asylum Guido 1907 Canadian Gillette".

I am not sure why but, WOW!! Seriously, this razor fits my skin just great. It really was a very very smooth shave for me. Used a T&H cream and a 1 day old Astra Superior and loved evey minute of it!!

Thnx AG - I was holding off on using it and trying to answer the shim question. What a dumb**s I was. From now on I will just 'pop one in' regardless of what it is!!