1904 Double Ring

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AsylumGuido, Feb 23, 2009.

1. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I based the 1907 on the standard serial number dating. I hadn't considered a totally separate thread of numbers running concurrently from the Canadian plant in Montreal. I really doubt there would have been. The plant was opened in 1906 so 1907 makes perfect sense. I am sure that Gillette would have just looked at it as just another plant that happened to be in Canada and would have used the same SN scheme as with the others.

2. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Excellent! Another convert. I seriously feel the shave is also enhanced by the sense of history when using one of these classics.

3. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Hmmmm - you probably have good logic for the SNs dood.

And yeah, there is definately a deeper sense of connection with history shaving with such an old item. But that aside, it really did work very well for me. Nice and smooth, sort of like a Tech Fattie but even smoother. There may well be something to the idea that an open comb allows the cream/soap to be right at the shaving edge. I also believe that the end of the open comb was a business decision and not a functional one.

Have you tried your lovely 1904??

4. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Tomorrow is the big day. I took a vacation day from work today to hit six estate sales and two antique stores in three cities so I got to grow another day's growth. I want to make the sweet thing work. Oh, two Slims, one Fatboy, two Kronas, one Knack, one sweet push button GEM and a Surry shave mug came home from the trip. :happy088

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:eek: Nice scores!!!

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

That is a pretty good days work! I have yet to find a Fatboy, I have no idea what a sweet push button Gem might be, and I am curious as h*ll as to what a Surry Mug is. So much to learn, so much to shave!

(And if you get to tell!!!!!------- I did get a really neat str8 today - a Boker Red Injun 101 in a great case. I got really because I liked the case so much. - now I need advice on how to 'restore' a slightly tired looking razor case if anyone has any ideas! And a couple of days ago I rcvd an excellent plus condition Rolls Viscount from Britain I get to make my 'user' Rolls. I can finally shave with one of the dern things now. I have another, but it is an NOS Traveller I don't want to break out. (did you use yours AG?) So it hasn't been too dry acquisition wise lately. Oh yeah, and a really nice old style hand painted scuttle that I thought was late 1800s but turned out to be early 1960's instead. *#*$*%** I like it a lot anyway so it ain't all bad!)

I gotta look into this Estate Sale thing up her in British Columbia. Do we have those sort of thangs? Any Canucks out there that know? I realize there are garage sales, but I don't remember ads or signs of estate sales, or any thing like that around here. Rats!!!! I hope I am wrong - sounds like fun. I imagine Estate Sales would be a good place to get such items as razors. Hmmm

Good luck with the shave long hair!!! They believed you that you collect razors with such a long shaggy mane of facial hair??? :happy102

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Estate sales are sales of the estates of recently deceased persons whose either do not have families or the families have no desire to keep their items. Usually a firm is hired to sell everything in the house in a two day sale. The first day (usually Friday) items are sold at a full listed price as determined by the sales firm. They all price differently. The morning of day two the items are usually discounted 25%. That afternoon they go on sale for half price. Anything not purchased is usually sold to an antique store for a lump sum.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Does the push button have a case with it by any chance?

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

No it doesn't, but is one of the nicest I have ever seen. The gold finish is brilliant.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I got one in like that here awhile back,., in a red plastic case with clear top.. has a place for a blade vault style blade box.. i guess you can call it.,., just not sure what the box would have been like. I have a nice feather weight that has a white Gem push pack in it.. but just put a treet box into the push button for now..

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

when you guys speak of a push button gem, is that the 1912 with the thumb tab?

12. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

No. Here's a push button. This isn't the one I have, or actually one of the ones I have. Both I have are nicer than this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

The 1904 double ring is lovely.

Seems so familiar... my wife's pillow says "sharp" and mine says "dull".

:happy102

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

To me they shave just like a g bar or Featherweight Matt

15. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Sounds like my house - but my wife had to take off the names and just hand me my pillow - I kept getting confused which one I was supposed to use!!

16. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Ok, thanks gentlemen. :happy088

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Have you tried either of those yet Matt? Dave does not like plastic razors but I think they shave fine. You want I can loan you one to try out some.

18. Truckman

Truckman New Member

No I have not. Sure, I'll try them out if you want to send them...

enabler :D

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Viva Le Revolution.. I got a featherweight coming .send me ya mail and I will put together a good sample pack for you to try as soon as it gets here. prolly toward the end of the week.