1912 King C Gillette C117599 Razor Kit

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Aug 3, 2018.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Hello all. I believe I have a treat for everyone! I just received this set and had to share some photos of it. This set has been in a collectors private collection since 1979. He has other interests now and was willing to part with it. Now I am the happy owner. Enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Very nice..................

3. GlennConti

4. GlennConti

5. GlennConti

6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

That's a very cool looking razor!

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

7. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Wow Glenn, that one is stunning!

8. GlennConti

I don't know why the photos aren't showing. They are on my server and are about 4 to 6 meg each. I wanted the post the full resolution pictures but apparently Shave Den has some sort of tech problem with large files.

I just shrank the first file to 175Kb but it still wont show. Sorry guys...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Rev579 likes this.
  9. GlennConti

10. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Gorgeous!

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  12. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

That’s as nice as I have seen.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I love seeing those sets. You usually don't see them in that good of shape. I'm sure the Rockerfeller's, Morgan's or Kennedy's have a couple of those in thier attics, but you don't see them in the wild very often. You just don't see hand engraving like that anymore.

Otto Carter could probably do it, but it would cost thousands of dollars and take years on a waiting list.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/razor-engravings.49316/

If you ever feel the need to sell that set, hit me up. :)

Edit: and all the pictures are showing up for me, at least.

Rev579, brit, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  14. GlennConti

Yes, I was able to get all the photos to show by reducing the size of some on my server that had problems. I am very happy with the set and plan to enjoy it for some time. However, I am unsure of it's current value. If you or anyone wants to PM me with your best guess as to it's current value, it would make me happy or be amusing? I am expecting that any value I do get is JUST A WILD GUESS and will not hold anyone to that guess. Thank you sir!

Frijolero and Jake like this.
  15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Truly magnificent! Great addition to your collection. You should be very very happy. Proud.

16. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Wow! It is a thrill to see something like that.

17. Wow, that is some amazing stuff!

18. DrAwkward

DrAwkward New Member

King Camp Gillette's personal razor???!!! Wow, that gives new meaning to the term "Holy Grail" razor!
    Glenn, that is a museum piece. Thanks for sharing with us.

19. stan

stan New Member

Glenn,
    Beyond stunning. Also, to be King Gillettes personal razor is even more amazing. Is there soap and a brush in the tubes?
    Based on its condition it looks like he was presented with the set and then it was placed in a trunk where it stayed for a century.
    A wonderful addition to an already stellar collection. Thanks for sharing photos of such an incredible find.
    Stan

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No need to PM it. That's the nice thing about these old high end sets, the dollar value they sold for "back in the day," adjusted for inflation, is about what they sell for today. Your set probably sold for $50 in 1912. Similar sets sold for $75 a few years later.

Adjusted for inflation, it was the equivalent of dropping $1,300 on a shave set. Thus, my earlier references to the Rockerfeller's, Morgan's, and Kennedy's.

I would say that realistically, you would probably get between $900 and $1,500 for it if you dropped it on eBay with a good title and description.

Edit: I highly doubt it was a personal razor of King's. The closest I've seen to a personal razor was the solid silver Tiffany razor, which makes this set look cheap and tawdry...no offense. That razor also had historical provenance and numerous KCG personal effects accompanying it.
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/king-camp-gillette-personal-memorabilia.259848/
    Many of the early engraved sets were liberally monogrammed with KCG initials. That ended in the early 1920's.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018