1924 Olympic Special Pioneer

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Jake, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Made for the 1924 Paris Olympics, Gillette brought out this incredible set -- an Old Type in a white leather covered case. I know the Muhle R41 has become everyone's favorite these days, and it's great to have such an effective razor readily available & at a good price, but how to compare the shave with the silver-plated Old Type? This is where the straight razor met the safety razor -- all shavers had almost no other choice.

But this NOS set, that came to me with the shipper and inner wrapper (not photographed), fantastic case, and no soap residue -- this is the ultimate shaving machine.

Sent to me by my Dutch friend who knows my love of vintage mint Gillettes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No hairline splits on this particular handle. Whoopee!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The case & razor remained so pristine after 87 years. Really amazing...

5Savages, Mechguy, TitanTTB and 5 others like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Excellent Jake! Saw one of these not too long ago across the street that was mint.. box too.. and that's when I learned these existed. Fantastic score, sir!

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ditto!

4. sir-nix-alot

sir-nix-alot Member

That is beautiful.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah! Nice shaver indeed. I have one just like it, but not in such an elaborate (or correct) box.

I prefer the R-41 though.

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent find!

7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Wow! Great razor Jake.
    It is quite amazing how it stayed in such great shape over the years with the box and everything.

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Fantastic looking razor, Dam good friend you have there also:) fine condition.

9. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice razor, Jake. Looks great!

10. There is a display piece - stunning!

11. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Awesome looking.

12. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Dagnabit that is purdy Jake

13. ossiezig

ossiezig New Member

So how does this 1924 compare with the new Muhle R41? I have the Muhle and it is my favorite razor for removing 2+ days of growth, but it's just too new for me. When I shave I prefer the nostalgia of using something that has been used fover the course of several generations. If I can find a vintage razor that is comparable to the Muhle I'll jump on it.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

These razors seem to be every bit as effective as the R41. Vintage, modern, single edge, double edge, straight -- the varieties are endless and the expectations of superior shaves persistent. You know what they say, it's not the tool, it's the craftsman...