1930s Canadian Gillette New Short Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Jun 21, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

hello folks ,thought i would try a project.i just acquired a canadian new sc razor a short while back that was in decent shape.it came without a case.. 20190610_181713.jpg so i thought , lets put something i like together from parts .not caring that it was correct i went for something i liked.i have some damaged cases with nice interior parts that i just couldn't toss in the bin..a fine gent here at the TSD had some goodies for sale so i got a 1920s old type case and gold ball end tech from him.. 20190620_134843.jpg
    cleaned it up and installed an nice insert and liner from an early 40s rfb case that was too beat up to use.easily removed as the 80+ year old glue was dust.the case was empty so i cleaned it up and glued in the felt with white glue.lower portion added next after a cleaning with an old toothbrush.popped right in ,touch of white glue again. 20190620_153907.jpg
    put together the newly acquire gold ball end handle onto the new sc plate and cap which has the small cut out where the handle seats against.perfect fit.these early news had old type and narrow top common bar handles the same size as tech handles. later news had a larger cut out .. 20190620_144121.jpg
    add my rare 1930s canadian gillette blade bank and.. 20190620_155114.jpg
    the completed set..while not correct in a collectors eyes i love it and won't sell it anyway..got a decent razor that is better balanced,has all its plating, cool brass case and a home for the cool blade bank.all original gillette parts.keep your old cases gents, they are reusable and somewhat interchangeable. cheers,gary:)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    mvd, Linuxguile, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Just beautiful, Gary. You have a fine razor set there. The SC (and the LC) are my favorite vintage Gillettes.

Hembree and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

thank you Charlie..it was fun to put together..2 weeks of waiting patiently and an hours work..:)

Hembree and wristwatchb like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also like that style of case. I have two of them, one re-lined and matched for the proper razor and blade bank (R). The other one (L), with a two-toned brown interior for another razor that has been modified, but not yet ready. There's a chance I'll re-line it to match the razor after it's done.

20190621_100633.jpg
    20190621_100727.jpg

mvd, ghostlife, brit and 4 others like this.
  5. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Nice Gary. The solid ball-end Tech handles and the earlier hollow tube press fit ball-end handles are my favorites. They just look "Victorian" somehow. And either of them are superior to the hollow "common bar" handles for NEWs or "Fat" handles for Techs because they have a far better balance point in the hand. I think the solid ball end Tech handle looks fantastic with the SC head as the shorter comb doesn't dwarf the handle like the LC teeth do. I've put that combo together myself and I think it might be the perfect razor both visually and performance-wise (for me). I've also put the solid ball-end Tech handle on an Old Type head and that balances well too, but the little bullet shaped locator pins that protrude through the baseplate look a little odd with that short handle so I prefer the stock (larger) hollow tube ball-end handles for my OTs. Nothing wrong at all with a little mix and match. I think........ "ShortComb, ShortHandle".

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jim..nicely done..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir .thank you..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

those interiors look really good sir.out of many cases this one stands out.simple ,not ornate..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

just wanted to say thank you for your responses..i was inspire by a fine gent here on TSD who posted his new sc with a gold handle in a sotd thread..cheers..:)

jimjo1031 likes this.