1938-45 Tech set questions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Anyone know if these sets came with a blade bank, and which one?
    Any way to actually narrow the date of manufacture?
    TIA![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Short answer no American 3pc Tech sets came with blade banks.

Longer answer the only American made sets that came with metal blade banks between 1938 - 1945 were the 1pc Aristocrat and Regent Tech sets.

brit likes this.
  3. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    So was the cap on one side and base plate on the other?...or were they put together in the box as usual and one side just looks empty?

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To narrow the date of manufacturer. It is what is called a pre-war tech head. Misnomer in that they sold them until 1948. If it was made during or after WWII the razor will be magnetic since they stopped making them out of brass due to WWII and didn't start making brass 3pc tech razors until the introduction of the post war tech heads in 1947. If it is not magnetic then 39 - 41. They didn't introduce these razors to market until 39 not 38.

brit and jmudrick like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They came with a pack of blue blades. Cap and base plate together usually with a printed cardboard insert in place of a blade being loaded between the 2.

brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

brit likes this.
  7. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool...I knew the triangular slots are the "pre-war" (US entry for that matter). Did not know about the magnetic thing, looking forward to the science project!

brit likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A little complicated, they were marketed in Charlotte in summer '38 (and elsewhere??) before the national release in '39.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The ad says it all, Charlotte only. Test market before the national roll out like the serial toggles sold in Wisconsin only. Based on that price I can say for sure the packaging would have been a cardboard box so the set in question is not this one.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I wasn't suggesting anything about the set in question, just the release dates. I don't have anything other than Charlotte in this case but in other pre-releases the ads have said "City-X" only, which is why I suggest there could have been other test markets for which ads are simply not available.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Possible but O.P. was also trying to narrow down the date the set was produced. That type of case would have been in a more expensive set so it rules out 38.

Old School likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I was responding to your post about Mr Razor's dates not to the OP's question. Let's move on.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Old School likes this.
  13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Squirrel!...
    I just bought a toggle for $200.
    What do I know besides the pic? Nothing but free shipping.

In da club!!![​IMG]

14. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you all... ruling out 1938 is a start, and I've certainly learned a few things!

jmudrick likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

When you get it in hand you'll be able to confirm the date code. $200 is a good price if the mechanical parts all work correctly.