1947 Gillette Milord Christmas gift set

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 26, 2012.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Back in August 2011, I shared with you all the 1946 Gillette Milord Christmas gift set I acquired.

Today, thanks to a trade with PLANofMAN, I am able to share with you my latest acquisition... the next year... 1947 Gillette Milord Christmas gift set. So mint that the gold on the doors has that rainbow effect commonly seen on vintage un-used gold-plated Gillette razors.

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet07.jpg

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet01.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet02.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet03.jpg

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet04.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet05.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet06.jpg

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet08.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet09.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet10.jpg

2. IAmTheJody

More pictures...

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet11.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet12.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet13.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet14.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet15.jpg

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet16.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet17.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet18.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet19.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet20.jpg

gorgo2 and Mark1966 like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

Final two pictures...

1947GilletteMilordGiftSet21.jpg 1947GilletteMilordGiftSet22.jpg

gorgo2, PLANofMAN and Mark1966 like this.
  4. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing that it sat since 1947! That sitting in itself could probably make some good stories. Awesome acquisition.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Sweet! (sorry mate)

Hmmm, Jody, that looks:

absorbing, alluring, amiable, appealing, attractive, bewitching, charismatic, choice, cute, dainty, delectable, delicate, delightful, desirable, electrifying, elegant, enamoring, engaging, engrossing, enthralling, entrancing, eye-catching, fascinating, fetching, glamorous, graceful, infatuating, inviting, irresistible, likable, lovable, lovely, magnetizing, nice, pleasant, pleasing, provocative, rapturous, ravishing, seducing, seductive, sweet, tantalizing, tempting, titillating, winning, winsome

:)

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ahmm cough cough, Thats my line, LOL

Very nice Jody

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. Mark1966

Sorry - corrected!

alpla444 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I figured it sat under somebody's sink for a long time. The individual I acquired it from claimed to have picked it up in an antique store in the southern United States.

Now I imagine we'll all watch Jody slide closer towards madness as he tries to find a 1948 Milord gift set to round out the trilogy. You do take nice pictures, Jody.:)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

I'll search the world over until I find it too! lol

Thanks!

alpla444 likes this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

LOL I was only joking, I never know thats what I said most of the time untill Jody and a few others pointed it out, now I feel I have to say it, i will have to think of new words, my limited vocabulary will be tested:signs002:
    feel free to use whatever words you like,

PS Whats ebay Australia like for razors? as I have noticed your great collection, or do you source else where?

11. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Ok, I will..................................That is SWEET!!

macaronus and alpla444 like this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Awesome find, Jody! :drool:
    Have fun acquiring the 1948 set, and the 1949, and the 1950, and...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I think it would be more accurate to say "this razor found him." They were meant to be together.

I can picture him unwrapping it and setting it next to it's brother, all the while rubbing the box and cooing..."My precious!"

macaronus likes this.
  14. Mark1966

I knew that - but thought I should respect the ownership anyway. I've also given you a few ideas for alternatives :D

ebay Australia?
    1) it is my turf so if I see you venturing.... :duel:
    2) not much to see anyway to be honest. 95%+ of my gear is from overseas, usually US. So for each item think of postage at $15 and do the maths!

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I only wondered, as I don't see that many forum users from that part of the world, even though alot of gillettes must of found there way over there, I get mine from all over, granted not the same condition as yours or jody's but I'm still trying to find the best shave I can get.
    I will be trying rotbart and wizamet this week can't wait.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Jody has "connections". He also spends way to much time on eBay. I found myself bidding against him twice, but he suckered them out from under me while I was at work.;) Got good deals on both those razors.

17. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Look what I got my hands on...:)
    This cleaned up beautifully, but I was scared. Like it was put away with the lather still on it, left to dry for 40 years!
    One blade was in the razor, 2 blades missing, the other packages in cellophane. I think it was used and abused, fortunately only a couple of times!
    Milord open.jpg

brit likes this.
  18. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    ...and now I've geeked out on a mr. razor video, saw something odd and interesting.
    Earlier sets had no notch razors with a smooth band above the TTO, and no end caps (according to the video).
    Later sets had end caps, but lost the smooth band above the TTO as the OP's post shows.
    My razor, same box, case, accessories has no notch, smooth band, AND end caps.

Anyone know how to date this?

Milord box.jpg Milord open box.jpg

Milord in case.jpg

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

1946 Milord.jpeg

PLANofMAN and Old School like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    '46 razor in a '47 Christmas set. Probably came that way from the factory. Yours is the second set I've ever seen.

Old School and brit like this.