1956 Gillette #58 - The British Aristocrat

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Picked up a Gillette #58 some time ago - for a fair price of $40 - and it arrived this weekend.
    The razor looks and feels great and it even came in the original case.

A little bit about Gillette #58
    Even though this razor doesn't have one of those creative names Slim, Fatboy, Senator, etc - there are some rather interesting facts about this beautiful razor;

- Made during 1953 to 1956 (potentially to 1957),
    - 1953-1954 stamped "Patent Pending",
    - 1955-1956/7 stamped "Brit Pat 694 093"
    - (as of 1956 the razor case came with a loop around the knob of the handle. Which is what my case have and that really helps dating the razor).
    This is helpful as the British made Gillette was not stamped with the same date codes as the American
    made ones.

- The #58 is a British Aristocrat model,

- The razor was made in two models;
    - an aluminum version weighing 34g, and
    - a nickel plated brass version (which is the one I have) weighing 68g

- In 1953 there were three razors issued (cases had a crown on them) as 'coronation razors' to mark the
    crowning of Elizabeth II - the #58 was one of them,

- A bit more aggressive than its American-made cousins and has a reputation for producing outstanding
    shaves often lending the razor to be very highly ranked and sought after,

Here's some pics of my new darling:

Here you can see the loop around the handle indicating it's a case from 1956/7:
    [​IMG]

To provide a sense of scale here's the #58 surrounded by a Gillette Big Boy Deluxe on the left side - and a Gillette NEW w/ common bar handle on the right side:
    [​IMG]

Shaved with it for the first time this morning and had an absolutely outstanding shave.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I have one on the way to me from Europe. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. The British Gillettes are beautiful.

Darkbulb likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sweet. Looking forward to hearing what you think about it. I was very impressed by how it shaved and felt today.

Do you know year/version of the #58 you're getting?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

Very nice attractive razor :eatdrink047: enjoy your shaves with it.
    Just checked the two I have and one's with Patent no and one Patent Pending.
    Both cases have the loop, one was missing a loop when I got it but the slots were there where it had been attached to the case. I made a loop from some copper pipe and painted it red. It lifts out easily if I need to.

Old School likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zVERYCOOL.png znice_razor.png

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic looking razor.

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice razor, and info. Enjoy.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I don't. Took a gamble on it. All I can say about it right now is that it's shiny, has the ornate "barber pole" knurling, and it's coming from Portugal.

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That's really interesting as - if both of your razors are original to their cases - that might invalidate some of the online speculations that either;
    a) The knob-strap was added in 1956, and/or, that
    b) The patent number was added in 1955.

(Because your razor w/out a patent number and in a case with the knob-strap shouldn't be 'possible' assuming that all those assumptions were correct) :)

There has been some additional speculations that the patent number was only added to the plated brass version and not to the aluminum one.
    Are both of yours brass?

10. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Very nice fine! I like that "barber pole" knurling. I am going to have to keep an eye out for one of those. Thanks for sharing.

Darkbulb likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's a 'bundle pack' being sold right now with;
    - Gillette #58, and
    - Gillette HD Rocket

both in what seems to be excellent condition.
    Price for both $135. No auction.

12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Simply enjoy it!

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I very much plan on doing so. It's a great razor. If I own a razor - I'll use it :)

clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  14. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

Yes both razors are brass.

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team

I recently saw an auction for a "Gillette" razor. It was a GEM SE in a Gillette box. I don't think I would draw hard conclusions from the box without other supporting evidence... but I tend toward skepticism. ;)

Love your razor, BTW... and your photos are top notch, as always. Did I ever tell you that I made one of your photos my desktop wallpaper?
    :love055:

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice razor. Thanks for the history lesson and wonderful pictures. :happy088:

Darkbulb likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Did you get your #58 yet? :)

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Still on the way from Iberia. I guess technically, I just bought the razor and not the #58 set, but the case is not important to me.

Got the two that were for sale on Etsy. Very very happy with those. Smoooooooooth!
    I'll take a photo or two soon. Busy weekend with the Valentines Day and subsequent honey-dos. Well, and the naps.

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Take your time but I sure would looove to see some photos of the Etsy loot you got - and hear what you think of them - ...those razors seemed most excellent.....

20. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Fascinating historical info! Thanks! Now I want one...