1982 NOS Avon gentleman's regiment set

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Suhrim21, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

So I have been trying to get a full set of 1982 shave items so on my birthday I can do a birthday shave. Looks like it's not going to happen this year. I wanted to share a mug, soap, and brush I got that was all NOS. Everything was still in the original packaging which I kept except for the sealed bag the brush came in. This is a set that Avon made, I guess based off of research, only for Japan in 1982. I have seen the brush and mug separately go for about 25 each. I got the whole set including the soap for 20. I also had a 1982 Avon CJ aftershave I got that was NOS for 12 bucks, but unfortunately the day it hit my mailbox we checked it 20 min after the mailman ran and someone had already gotten in it and stole the package. I'm still very much upset about that. I hope I come across that person trying that s**t when I'm outside. It will be the last mailbox they ever steal from. But back to topic. I am wanting to get the brush re-knotted. I do not like the boar knot that is in it. I did a couple test lathers and this small of a knot does not do well. I'm thinking a 2-band knot would work great in it. Maybe even horse or silvertip. I will have to see prices on knots. Does anyone know what size the knot is? Here are pics of the three items. I didn't take a pic of the boxes but I will later and add those. The soap doesn't smell bad per say. It's not something I would use on a regular basis.

20190822_214643_compress42.jpg 20190822_214654_compress76.jpg 20190822_214711_compress5.jpg

ghostlife, Hembree, jimjo1031 and 4 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Nice set! Glad you are getting the Birth Year Set together.

Here's three points that may make you feel better and give ideas dealing with the mail box thief.

I recently heard a story about an elderly lady out walking her dog in the park. The purse snatcher ran up, grabbed her bag and successfully made his escape. Nearby a jogger saw what happened and was going to help by trying to run the bad guy down. She refused to let him help because it was a shabby old purse that she wouldn't miss. And that's where she put the doggy droppings while walking her pet.

Another more deliberate effort to make the thief think twice about their crimes. A cab driver would leave a nicely wrapped package in the back seat of his vehicle every so often. One day he picked up a regular customer that often used his service. The customer noticed the box wrapped in nice paper as though it should be a gift. The cabbie nodded when alerted to the "lost" package and told his rider not to worry. The right person would still get it. That was the dirty litter from his cat's box.

Starting to see the theme? Check this video.

3. Suhrim21

I do. I know he or she is going to get what they deserve. And in fact it will come back to them tenfold. I'd still better catching them and dealing some swift payback.

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have one I’m working on. I’ll let you know when I get home from work tonight.

:eatdrink013:

5. Suhrim21

Thank you. Info is greatly appreciated

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I measured it and it will accept an 18mm knot. I plan on enlarging mine to accept a 20mm.

I hope that helps.

:cool:

brit likes this.
  7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Enrico is correct, however it is a loaded answer... It is an 18mm diameter on the outer edge, but they tapered the hole down as it goes in so a standard 18mm knot won't fit. I have two of these brushes that were used and knots in ruff shape. They are on the back burner so I have not completed them yet. Due to the tapered hole the old knots pop out easy enough. I have already widened one and intend to put in a 20mm synthetic knot. I'd say 20mm would be the largest you would want to go to keep the "AVON" logo intact around the brim. But I'd think 22mm would fit fine while 24mm may be a tight fit.

I also have two more of these new in the box. They do come up and sell for under $3 if you keep an eye out.

What research have you found that would indicate that this set was for Japan only? I entirely disagree with your assessment. I know the brush is marked "CREATED EXCLUSIVELY FOR AVON IN JAPAN". But that is simply marking where it was made. The Mug, Talc, Aftershave, and Soap-on-a-Rope in this set have NO such markings on the items or boxes. The fact that the labeling is in English does not lend to your theory. Also the vast majority of these sets are available and resold in the U.S. Here is a link to some pictures of the mug and box, you can see there are absolutely no markings indicating that these would have been for Japan: http://www.tomonagura.com/vintage-shaving-soap/avon-gentlemens-regiment.html

I think I watched the Mug and Brush listing you picked up. It did not have a box for the mug but did for the brush. The soap looked to be in decent shape. The styrofoam disk is meant to be under the soap until use to raise the soap up for display.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Enrico likes this.
  8. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I order all my parcels to the office now after I noticed the mailman left something outside the door when I wasn't home

very cool set by the way

brit likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You are correct; upon looking at the old knot, I think it's just short of being a 16mm. Though I'm so use to boring brushes out (I rarely keep the original opening), I'm alway looking to increase to a size that is easily obtainable. I find a nice step drill bit and a Dremel drum sander can increase most shaving brush handles to the desired diameter.

Thank you @Weasel640 for the clarification. :)

brit likes this.
  10. Weasel640

I distinctly remember the tampered part because I thought it was really odd when I saw it. This is the only handle that I've seen with a tampered hole.

Good tip on the step drill bit. Maybe I'll pick one up instead of trying to find Forstner bits that fit every time. I've also been meaning to get a Dremel as well...

Enrico likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I picked us a cheap set of step drill bits at Harbor Freight and as for the Dremel ... after the initial investment, it pays for itself easily over time. :D

brit likes this.
  12. Suhrim21

That was my assumption based on the boxes. I figured if they were only made in Japan it would say made exclusively IN Japan not FOR Japan. But doesn't really matter to me. It was made in 1982 and that's what I wanted.

13. Weasel640

OK gotcha. I thought you had documentation or something, maybe from one of the many AVON collectors books. I must have mis-read that there was research...

You are missing the inferred comma between "AVON" and "In Japan". It is saying that the Brush was "Created Exclusively For AVON", and made "In Japan". The Brush is the ONLY ONE of at least five others in this set. The other items in this set that do NOT have any mention of Japan on them. In fact the Talc says it was made in England.

Enrico likes this.
  14. Suhrim21

Yes. Never try reading packaging or doing research when you are exhausted. I apologise for the misinformation.

I saw last night the talc tin says made in England. I have also seen a couple different scents for the aftershave. Was there more than one scent for the aftershave? Was there also a Gentleman's Regiment cologne?

15. Weasel640

Both the Talc and Aftershave for these sets came in Wild Country, or Black Suede. I have not yet seen a Cologne for the Gentlemen's Regiment sets. Also the Soap On-a-rope was the "Gentlemen's Blend" scent mostly seen in Avon soaps...

16. Suhrim21

Thanks. I also want the Avon CJ aftershave since it was made in 82. Found one on the bay NIB. Just hoping I get some money before it gets sold. I hate that the bottle NIB I bought was stolen from my mailbox.

17. Weasel640

These things come up for way cheaper than you have quoted. I think you need to step up your shopping around game.

They do come up frequently. There is typically about a dozen or so on the bay at a time. I would not go more than $10 on one new, in box. Hell there is one on there right now for $4.99, $12 after shipping, that is not even a half tank of gas. Hell if you are going to re-knot the brush, there is a used one on there that is a perfect candidate that is only $2.

brit likes this.