1st open comb shave, old Gillette New- Excellent!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by UncleStu, Mar 14, 2009.

1. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Once again I've let the whiskers get too long, once again rushed- but it worked out pretty doggone good.;)

Due to time constraints this AM, used Noxzema red can. Yeah, I know- could hear the Tabac whispering to me.:D

Looked at the Tech with a used-for-3-shaves blade in it- and then chose a nice old "bar-handled" Gillette New(long tooth, I think) bought about a month ago. Installed a new Dorco 301, washed face well, applied canned foam & began to shave.

This thing shaves great! The angle required is different from what I usualy use(Gillette SS, Aristocrat, Tech)-because of that I have parts of my face not quite BBS, remember it's my *first* shave with this or any other toothed razor- but it worked really well, I'm impressed. I had figured that the open spaces between the teeth not scraping the lather off before the blade cut was of more concern in theory than it actual use. Think I'm gonna have to change my mind on that. ;)

The razor used looks really good except for tiny marks/dents in bottom of "bar" handle, and some spots/chips of gold plating gone from the cap- looks like damage or bad plating, not wear. Cap also looks like it might work on a Gillette Tech, or vice-versa. Hmm...:rolleyes:

I have another razor with the same long-toothed head, but an "old type" tube & ball handle, complete with cracks- it has brass case & blade case, gold plated, looks never used. May have to change that!

I understand there's a version of the New that has shorter teeth, and a thicker base plate. IIRC AsylumGuido really likes the short-tooth version. Now I'm gonna have to hunt for one of those!:D

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

There are a lot of NEW out there, but they are getting pricier. Check out CoonCatBob's website... it is listed at the bottom of any of his posts, he replated NEW heads and makes custom handles. Definitely A+ work. As I recall he prefers the longer tooth version. I have both and I change my mind every now and then.

Yes, the cap is the same cap in the original tech. The original fat handled tech had a handle about the same size and mass of the bard handled NEW as well. The original techs were basically a NEW with a safety bar and some tooling changes on the handle.

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yup, those razors with the toothies get it done!