1st shave with a Gillette Guard.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brian, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

My Gillette Guard arrived in this mornings post. On opening the package I wasn't too impressed, two razors and four extra blades, they weighted next to nothing. I've remembered some of the reviews on here, the razors that didn't allow folks to escape unblooded. I was not looking forward to trying it out, but I figured to give it a fair shake.

I ran the water nice and hot soaking a wash cloth in it, so I could heat up the whiskers. A few minutes of heat to the cheeks and neck and I started building my lather. For this shave I decided to go with my VanderWilliams with a touch of menthol added for good measure. I whipped up a nice lather using a Barbasol boar brush.

I opened the package and once again thought of how light it felt and of all the reviews complaining of this fact. Once open I was assulted by it's hideous appearance. For me it does not have a cosmetically pleasing effect like a proper Tech, or TTO. No buttons to release the cartridge, or anything like the other new Gillettes I have owned.

I gripped it at the base with my middle finger and thumb, with my pointer giving support to the spine of the handle. With the first pass I was very suprised! No blood and the beard reduction was impressive. I finished WTG, heated the washrag again and relathered. My 2nd pass I decided to go ATG due to the lack of remaining whiskers. Once again the shave went pretty smooth, thou this time I didn't escape unblooded. I suffered a small nick which was self inflicted when I turned to answer a call from SWMBO.

A splash of Brut laced with menthol and I was complete. And with almost having a BBS shave, just a wee bit of rough when rubbing ATG under the chin, which for me is always a problem area. I'm sure if I would have done a touch up I could have achieved it.

I must say, for such a light, ugly razor I was most impressed with it. By no means will it ever replace my beloved DE and SE gear, nor find a way into my regular rotation for that matter. But for a travel razor I would give it 2 thumbs up. With proper hold and technique, you forget about the lack of weight, and are just left with an amazing shave.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm planning ordering one today to give a whirl. I want one just to say I tried it and if it works for me I see it becoming a nice travel razor. But like you said, no way will it have a chance to unseat my DE.