1st Shave With Ziglar Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shamrock, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Decided to try the Ziglar tonight - it's an OC slant.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I was a little leery, never having used an open comb or a slant before, so I used my Merkur 23C on my head before beginning my face shave with the Ziglar using a Viking's Sword blade. I got an amazing BBS shave with less effort than my shaves with the Merkur, and NO irritation or nicks. The plan is to use the Ziglar on my face for a week or so, while using the Merkur or my head shaves, and then, after becoming more comfortable with it, eventually using the Ziglar exclusively for a while.

I have made one change to the Ziglar by swapping out the handle for a Durham Duplex handle - these 2 vintage razors have handle thread sizes that are smaller than the newer razors, and I wanted a heftier feel to the Ziglar.
    Gotta love being able to use vintage razors - history that doesn't sit on a shelf, only to be looked at...history that is still relevant :)

ObiDon, Tattoobob, Adonis and 6 others like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is one beautiful razor head. Congratulations!

Shamrock likes this.
  3. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks...I've had it for a couple months, and, being new to wet shaving, wanted to get my technique down before trying the Ziglar. I'm really glad I waited, and have now been rewarded for my patience.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've never seen one of those before. Nice looking razor!

burnout961 and Shamrock like this.
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks - I went looking for it after reading about it in a post by Bob Smith, of Bob's Razor Works. I'd link to the post, but it's on another shaving board. It is a unique razor, but still available if searched for. I'd say it actually provides a mild, yet extremely effective shave - at least for me (and that is with a 2 day beard growth). Never thought that could be said about an OC let alone an OC Slant.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

OMG, the mere hearing of OC-slant starts my throat bleeding. :eek: But, glad you had a great shave! Enjoy it!

Herm2502 and BigMark like this.
  7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

X2 Congratulations where did you find the Razor? :shaver

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Actually, I did it the "new fashioned way" LOL. I went to eBay and typed Ziglar razor in the search box, and there it was. Apparently no one else thought much of it since I got it really cheap, but I haven't seen another one anywhere since. I know they're out there since I've seen others pick them up and post on other shaving sites.

I thought the same thing, and was extremely nervous, so was careful and slow to begin with, but by the end of the shave, I was shaving at the same speed as my normal razor - no problems with this inaugural use of the Ziglar. :)

richgem likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Is it really a slant? Man....I'd love a slant OC.....

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Yep, most definitely a slant - found this thread on TSD from a few years back:
    theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-haul-april-13th-april-19th-2009.11713/page-2
    It's the 3rd post down.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I do still love the idea of an OC slant razor...
    But, the Ziglar only takes older, proprietary blades?

12. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Actually, it takes any double sided blade. I use Vikings Sword blades myself. My favorite razor...

crackstar likes this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm a bit scared of these open comb razors because I'm not sure of the angle.

14. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

For me, it is a very nice shave - it doesn't remotely feel like an open comb shave. It shaves very close, and there is no irritation for me at all. Maybe it's because I've used more aggressive razors - like Gems, etc - but the Ziglar does not feel aggressive at all to me, and is my go-to razor.

crackstar likes this.