1st time using Feather blades...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Had my 1st shave with a Feather blade in my Rockwell 6S this morning. It was amazing! No irritation, weepers or cuts. Just a really smooth and comfortable post shave feel.
    I have been using Gillette SB and Astra SP blades to date. I have tested Dorco, Treet and Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. The Astra SP has been my go to blade with the Gillette SB close behind.
    I will be pulling the trigger on picking up 100 of these Feather blades today.

wristwatchb, Fup, lightcs1776 and 4 others like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

They are awesome until they go bad; then, they are hell. But, if you buy by the hundred, then you save a little and can toss them without feeling out of pocket too much. If you get 4 shaves out of a Feather, then it's a little less than $0.10 per shave. GSBs are a little cheaper and Astra's a lot cheaper; something like $0.04 per shave (4 shaves).

I love GSB. They work well in nearly all of my razors. Not so much with Astra SP or Feather SS. In all but the Rockwell (6S & 6C) the Astra and Feathers feel harsh to me (Astra more so, but the Feathers are still a bit harsh). Lots of other blades feel the same (Dorco, Kai, etc.). Seems like the Rockwell has somehow engineered a lot of comfort in the shave. I love Feather blades in the Rockwell and in the Gillette Tech. For some I think the Rockwell seems too mild (maybe the Tech, too). So, maybe that's it. But, Feathers are damn sharp! A sharp blade in a mild razor is 'da bomb (IMHO). They will clean you up and make you pretty (if there is no blood; but there is less chance for blood). But, when they are done being sharp, then they feel like scraping your face with a rip saw blade. For me, the comfort stops at about 3-4 shaves.

If you have another razor, try a Feather in that one and see if you notice the same as me.

Kokak and Zykris like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Feathers are hate/tolerate sorts. Brand new hurt like heck even with no pressure in either my German Slant 37 or Ming Shi Adjustable. If I palm strop the blade, it's either tolerable/ above average. I seem to have more luck with comfortable shaves with the Wilkinson blades thus far in my limited blade usage. But glad to hear it's working out for you!

BigMark83, Kokak and Terry Williams like this.
  4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Feathers are definitely the most classic case of YMMV , Imo. You either love them or hate them. I really wanted to like them, but they bite me , even when used in a Krona.

mrchick, Kokak and Terry Williams like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I really like them, but it wasn't always that way.

Terry Williams likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My experience with Feathers:
    1st shave...rough
    2-3rd shave...excellent
    4th shave...crap shoot.
    Sooo, I denim strop my new blades and toss them after three. All's right with the world. :)

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My experience also. Shaves 2-4! One is always a little rougher than two.

8. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Well, if my second shave is going to be better than this mornings... I will pick up 200 blades!

mrchick and Terry Williams like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's a general observation of many on TSD with regard to Feather.

Kokak and Primotenore like this.
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I get around 7 shaves out of all my blades, Feather included. I used them exclusively for about 6 years, and they're the first blade I put in any new-to-me razor.

Kokak, Primotenore and PanChango like this.
  11. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

they are very good blades but only for 3-4 shaves

Kokak, Primotenore and Terry Williams like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I get at least 6 shaves out of a Feather but no more than 8 - excellent blade if they work for you

dustmite, Kokak and Primotenore like this.
  13. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I'm just over 3 years into traditional wet shaving and I have still never used a Feather blade. I don't really know why. Maybe because of their reputation for being sharp and/or aggressive. Eventually I will get around to trying the infamous Feather blade !!!

dustmite and Kokak like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Feather is my favorite blade. GSB and Astra are right up there with them. Excellent choices