1st time using GEM OCMM Razor from PIF

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Houdini5150, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Houdini5150

Houdini5150 Member

So I won a GEM OCMM razor last week from wchnu. I was able to pick up some blades for it today. My local supply store had some Vincent blades?

I used some CO Bigelow.

1st time shaving with it, I just followed the direction of keeping it flat against my face. It was alright. Was fine but shaving around the goatee area, I did not like it at all. I was having issue moving the head around. Hard getting it just right under my nose. I will try it again and maybe look into doing a better technique than what I am used to doing with a DE.

I will give it a whirl again later but I like my Gillettes :D

RaZorBurn123 and Zykris like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

When you say supply store, are you talking like Home Depot? If so, the blades you have are not for shaving.
    Head over either to Walgreens, CVS or RiteAid. One of 'em should have the proper blade.
    I've got a GEM Featherweight
    IMG_0336.JPG It's an okay shaver, but like you, I'm a Gillette man. Currently auditioning blades over in the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread for my 1911 Gillette Single Ring OLD Type
    IMG_0661.JPG

Herm2502 and George X like this.
  3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Please try again but with some GEM Stainless Steel blades.

Jim99 and Herm2502 like this.
  4. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Yes, you've DEFINITELY got to use proper shaving SE razor blades. It makes all the difference in the world.

Send me your address and I can ship you some new Gem stainless and carbon blades. PIF, no charge.

My first SE shave was with a Micromatic Open Comb and a Gem stainless blade, and it floored me how well it performed!

Jim99 and PLAla like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, don't use those Vincent blades, they're from China. Get some Personna Gem blades, and personally, I only use the MMOC on beards more than a day old. It's pretty aggressive, but will deliver some nice BBS shaves.

Jim99 likes this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Gen MMOC is an excellent razor and will provide BBS shaves every time when used right. Like others have said, use good blades. I can buy the Gem Personna blades at my local supermarket for $4.49 for 10 and they're excellent blades.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Even with a good blade, my first shave with the OCMM was a rough one. The blade thickness and angle are different from a DE. I prefer the DE, but am currently doing a 30 day challenge with the OCMM to get reacquainted with it. If you take the time to learn it you will be able to pull great shaves from it.

BigMark83 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Good blade and practice.

9. Houdini5150

Houdini5150 Member

Supply store was a barber supply store

Zykris and PanChango like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Change suppliers. Find out who their customers are and avoid them.

Zykris likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Near flat on face and no pressure. Easy does it. I agree that under the nose is the hardest part with the Gem SE razors. You need to attack from the side.
    MM_instructions.jpg

Enrico and Zykris like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Well, he could always grow a mustache. Problem solved.

Zykris likes this.
  13. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Look at conaught shaving for ptfe coated gem blades. It's what I use in my gems.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  14. Houdini5150

Houdini5150 Member

I was mainly there for DE stuff. I just got the razor PIF the other day so I thought about getting a blade for it and I did not research what was good. For DE blades they had a good variety for sure. He gave me a sleeve of Voshkods to try. I bought some Clubman A/S stuff

BambulanceMan and PanChango like this.
  15. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Voskhod blades are a great balance of sharp and smooth. Quality Russian piece, you'll like them.

Ah, Clubman. My den will never be without it. Others here may have differing opinions on the scent... ;)

Received your address, I'll get those Gem SE blades shipped today.