1st week with a short handled Black Beauty

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LOOT, Feb 24, 2017.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I decided to finally break out a short handled BB. 3 shaves with it this week. All of them superb. I've ran it through the adjustment range 1-9 and I love the thing. A couple of guys put this razor in their top 3 in another thread, I see why. It's a great piece of equipment.

I have the long handled BB and ran it exclusively, until I bought a Fat Boy and I realized how much more it seemed to tug. I've come to the conclusion that the longer handle works against me. I'm prone to wrist flip the further away I grasp the shaft from the head. Wrist flip feels great on my elbow but hurts my face, I've learned over the past months.

By adjusting my technique and getting the right balance/grip point, and making a conscious effort to take the wrist out of it, I can run any Gillette adjustable and get a great shave with no nics. I still prefer the heavier versions of adjustable, I just don't know why yet.

The learning continues.

Demidog, RyX, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm glad that the short handle BB is working out for you. I had a long handle BB and I never liked it. Good shaves and a beautiful looking razor, but I just didn't like the length and thinness of the long handle. I ended up selling it.

Jayaruh, Carbide Mike and twhite like this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I can relate to your experiences with the SA-109 (long handle). For a long time, I would tend to a cramp in my hand after using mine. Basically, the longer handle was causing me to grab further down and the weight of the head was working against me. I finally realized that I needed to hold mine near the adjuster, just like I would my Slim.

I now have two of the long-handled ones and really need to PIF one one of these days. :)

Jim99, Jayaruh, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  4. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I also love adjustables . Do try the Murkur Progress adjustable .

Jim99, Jayaruh and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have both the short and long handle and am pleased with both. Especially the long handle version. A truly unique razor. Setting 3 and a good Astra SP blade is perfect for me.

Jayaruh, LOOT and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've got an SA-109, vintage '71. Like in baseball, sometimes ya gotta choke up. Works for me! Paired up with a Voskhod blade it's a great shaver

Jim99, Jayaruh, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    With the Fatboy, sometimes I'll rest my index finger on the blade guard, while holding the handle near the adjustment ring with my middle finger and thumb. I know I'm risking a cut, but it's a comfortable way for me to shave. It gives me a feeling of absolute control of the angle and balance of the razor. YMMV.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I, too, tend to be a choker.

RetLEO-07 and LOOT like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Long as it's not your chicken! :shocked003:

ninjack and Jim99 like this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I like my Slim but the Fatboy just feels more comfortable in my hands. I feel like I have more control over it and I'm more mindful of how much pressure I'm applying when I use it. For some reason, I sometimes tend to press down on the Slim without realizing it until a bit later.

I do like the head profile on the Slim and I really would have liked a razor with the handle of a Fatboy but with the head of a Slim. I still use both razors but I've been using the Fatboy exclusively this month and I have been getting superb shaves. Shorter, thicker handles are excellent.

LOOT likes this.
  11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have a short handled one as well. It is a good razor.

LOOT likes this.