2-band vs. High Density

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Grick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

I'm torn between buying a 2-band and a high density silvertip. I want a brush with a firm backbone. I assume that either of them are strong in that area but never tried them myself. So what are the pros and cons of either? Which one holds more water? Which one lathers up better? Which one is better on hard soaps/ creams? Which one gives more feedback? Thanks.

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Which two brushes are you comparing? What you're asking is like trying to generalize a blonde and a brunette, there's many different types of hair per defined category.

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

I don't know which brushes you are considering, but my "general" opinion is this: Super dense silver tips tend not to release lather as well as a less dense 2-band, yet the less dense 2-band has great backbone, and most 2-bands have soft tips. I'll add that in my experience, dense 2-bands tend to release lather better than dense silvertips. Both brushes will work with creams and soft to hard sops, the loading techniques may need to change slightly or take longer, but about any brush can lather most any soap or cream. The ratio of knot diameter and loft can make a big difference in how a brush feels and lathers; two brushes with same diameter (say 22mm) one with a loft of 48mm and the other with a loft 58mm
    are going to feel completely different, even if they are using the exact same hair.