2 small brushes reknotted

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hodge, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Both these two small brushes were in desperate need of a reknot. I was somewhat worried I may not find a knot small enough but found 16mm badger specimens from TGN.
    What started out as a simple pull and replace turned into a nightmare when the Bristle-Tite handle shattered in my hands while trying to pull the old knot with a pair of pliers. To add insult to injury the broken fragements dropped into the 3/4 full garbage can I was working over. After donning surgical gloves and sifting through the garbage with forensic efficiency I managed to find the tiny puzzle pieces. I was lucky the three bakelite fragments fit back together perfectly and with the help of Super Glue I had a usable handle.
    The rest of the process was rather uneventful. The TGN 16mm Grade A silvertip knot fit the Ever-Ready handle the better of the two so it made the decision of which knot goes in which an easy one. The dremel was needed to open up the handle to fit the 16mm 2 band badger knot as it was a tad bigger of the two knots. Silicone was used to secure the knots so will be waiting until tomorrow before test lathering these little guys.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    Ready for new knots:
    [​IMG]
    Completed:

[​IMG]

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Most excellent! I love smaller brushes and got some that one of these days (read: years) I will reknot with something similar.
    Well done.

youngunn, Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks Dark. I usually get caught up restoring and then accidently win another couple auctions.....:D

Jayaruh, Douglas Carey and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Nice writeup - and those are two beautiful brushes. I couldn't tell from the pictures that the Bristle-Tite handle has been glued...

I might have preferred a blonde boar knot in the Ever-Ready handle to match the color of that base piece, but I guess a 16mm boar would be pretty hard to get hold of.

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks,
    If you look closely in the center pic, you can see a faint diagonal line above the B in Bristle. Most of the visable signs are on the back side from the logo.
    Youre right on with the boar knot idea. TGN doesnt offer a 16mm and I didnt search anywhere else. Plus Im mostly a badger guy anyways.

Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Excellent restore and repair on the "Bristle-Tite" handle.:happy088:

Hodge and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

They look great.

Hodge and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Jcan88

Jcan88 Member

Well done!

Hodge, Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good job.

Hodge, Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    znice_brush.png I am glad you were able to salvage the Bristle-Tite handle. Very nice job on both. Enjoy. znice_brush.png
    zVERYCOOL.png

Hodge, Robyflexx and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Roger excellent work. Great to see you breath life back into these handles. Enjoy! :happy096: :signs107:

Hodge likes this.
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Congrats and well done!! I will look forward to your after action reports.

Hodge and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was lucky to have found all the tiny pieces.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks, The best part is coming up.....getting these sweet little knots to bloom.:D

Darkbulb and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

A couple test lathers and then soaked the loaded brushes in hot water for awhile. These little guys bloomed nicely. For small knots, they load a decent amount of lather and both have good back bone with soft tips. I do prefer the 2 band knot installed in the Bristle-Tite as it has a bit more back bone.
    Both will be added to the rotation and used regularly.
    [​IMG]
    This really is the best part of brush restoring imo.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Very nice buddy!

I get to restore my old wooden handled brushes here soon, I don't have a Dremel however, so I'll have to buy a cheap one.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

My dremel is a cheapo knock off and it works great for this kind of work. What brand of knot will you use?

Robyflexx and youngunn like this.
  18. youngunn

I was thinking TGN but I've been hearing good things about shave revolutions knots lately, that's what Wolf Whiskers uses in theirs too I believe, what other knots can you recommend?

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive only used TGN. I was going to pick up a couple cheap ones (china) from the Bay.

youngunn likes this.
  20. youngunn

Ok. Do you know with TGN, if they actually have other sizes in some of their types of badger and they're just not listed for sale, or what? Cuz it seems like a lot of sizes are missing.