2 things...too short & too floppy.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by IKE, Nov 23, 2007.

1. IKE

IKE New Member

Good morning fellow wet shavers.

After looking around on the net I bought two brand new C & E Best Badgers and two brand new Tweezerman's and found that they are too short and little too floppy for my tastes.

What I'd like to find is something very comporable to my 41/4" overall length ( from tip of hair to bottom of handle) long ago discontinued Century Badger....the handle alone is 21/8" long and the knot size is aprox the same as the C & E BB and Tweezerman.

If I look very closely at my Century brush I can see the Century logo is stamped over the Ever-Ready logo and I can also see the Ever-Ready mdl. was either a R 40 or B 40....did Century buy out Ever-Ready at one time ?

Are there any brushes out there that won't break the bank and fill my needs ?

By the way, to keep from spending more money if anyone feels they have exactly what I'm looking for and wants to do a trade for a brand new $35.00 C & E Best Badger and or a brand new $14.95 Tweezerman, I'd be interested in possibly doing a swap for the same price and quality brush.

Thanks......Ike

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

no help from me, unfortunately but.....

Welcome to TSD :cool:

and how much, exactly, would "break the bank ?"
    It might help us to know how much dinero you want to blow, er ummmm, invest in this brush :D

3. Will

Will Nevermind

How is this? WELCOME ABOARD! :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

I believe Century just put their name on some Ever-Ready brushes. Ever-Ready is still in business but Century disappeared over 20 years ago. As far as I know Ever-Ready now makes only very cheap boar shaving brushes, most under $10, such as this one.

Ever-Ready (and Century) made higher quality brushes years ago — I have a badger that's one of my favorites but it's also the smallest brush I have.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to this board!

Richard

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Welcome to The Shave Den..:)

Not much help from me either, however here's a photo that may help with size comparisons...

1. SR 3228 Silvertip
    2. Shavemac #22579 25mm Silvertip, Horn Handle
    3. Rooney Size 1 Style 1 Super, Horn Handle
    4. Simpson Case Best
    5. C&E BBB
    6. Shavemac #177 23mm Silvertip
    7. EJ Limted Edt. 2006 Finest, Horn Handle

Numbered from Left...1,2,3.........

[​IMG]

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Welcome to THE DEN!!!

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Welcome!

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Welcome, welcome IKE!!!!

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Ike! Don't have an answer for you but glad you're here and I'm sure someone will come along with a coupla more thoughts!.

10. IKE

IKE New Member

You gents sure know how to make a fella feel welcome....thank you.

I've been wet shaving since I started shaving many moons ago.....in Viet Nam I used a C-ration can for a mug, gilette double edge razor, a really, really cheap hog bristle brush, and whatever soap I could come up with.

For cake soaps I use either Van Der Hagen or good ole Williams.....both give me excellent lather.

The SR3228 looks exactly like the handle length I'm after and I know you pay for quality but they are a little pricey.

I saw some longer handled badger brushes made by Kingsley....are the worth owning ?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Ike

11. Will

Will Nevermind

If you likem' dense, scrubby and cheap an Omega Boar may be right up your alley.

[​IMG]

Hands down the best boar brush I have ever tried and not scratchy like most, still scrubby though.

12. IKE

IKE New Member

Thanks anyway but I'm not really interested in a cheap bore brush.....I can pick those up locally at Target, Wal-Mart or Walgreens.

I like badger hair but I'm just want something a little less floppy and with a little longer handle than the C & E BB and Tweezerman that doesn't cost a arm and leg.

My price range ?.....well I spent $35.00 + shipping for the C & E BB's and that's pretty close to where I'd like to stay.

Thanks again for all the input fellas.

Ike

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

14. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Wow......Local DVH....LUCKY!!!

That is a great soap. Here is one thing. Wait a month...and go buy the Savile Row. I have one and its a great brush. Don't look at it as being that much money, because that one purchase can last you a lifetime with proper care.

15. Will

Will Nevermind

The Omega is NOT a cheaply made boar.

Van der Hagan Issac, not De Vergulde Hand. :p

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

HAHA..i knew i was off...i was like.....hmmm......DVH....that dont sound right... :rofl

So shoot me

17. alfabet

alfabet New Member

Tall Brush

I wouldn't count out the Omega 1048 bristle. I have used one for about 7 years and, frankly, think that it does a better job than some badger brushes. I do like a "stiffer" brush with a longer set of bristles and, for the price, you should give it a try. I think Tryphon sells it for $16.

Andy K

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Ike!

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on the brush search. :o

19. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

2 things...too short & too floppy.........

I gotta leave this one alone.... :rofl

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ahh, but you didn't. ;)