2 Treasures from Tony's Barbershop in Durham, NC

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Sep 26, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I went to Tony's for my first barber shave this morning and came back home with 2 straights for $40 each. At first the owner, Joyce, offered all 5 of her straights to me for free, but I didn't jump in and say, "Yes, please. You are so nice to offer them.". She had a Frederick Reynolds notched wedge 5/8, 2 Roefllers (3/8?) and the 2 C-Mons I bought from her, the Cadillac 5/8 (German..Peter J. Michaels, New York) and Filarmonica Doble Temple 5/8 (Spanish...Peter J. Michaels). I think I got a really good deal. I have polished them since these photos and will use lapping film to hone them in a few minutes and will shave with one or both in the morning.

C-MonCadsmall.jpg

DobleTemplesmall.jpg

Turk, 178-bplatoon, alpla444 and 4 others like this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ahh.. nothing rides like a Cadillac..:transport016: Good score!..

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice, Robert. I got my Double Duck from my barber too. I just picked 4 straights again last week, so much for thinning them out.

4. lindyhopper66

I've got a Palmera coming in a couple of days. Going to Libery Antique Festival Friday. Hopefully I won't run into any lost razors needing a home.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

LOL, I'll bet you do. Your going to the Antique show with "malice of intent". That Palmera is supposed to be a sweet razor let me know what you think of it.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow very nice thats some collection your getting there:cool:

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  7. lindyhopper66

If they show up like lost kittens by the side of the road, who am I to leave them behind.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

Yes, I am getting a decent collection for only 3 months at straights. Just running into the right people and happenstance, a lot of it. I shaved with the C-Mon Cadillac a few minutes ago. Most excellent 2 pass almost BBS shave.

Last night I cleaned the razors up and honed using lapping film, 12,9,5,3,1,.3 microns and stropped on CrOx and Diamond Slurry balsa strips and blue jeans and webbed fabric and Walkin' Horse horsebutt 3 inch plus leather strop and got a superb edge. Yesterday was a very big and pleasant surprise for me. I turned 62 on Monday the 24th and got no presents, so I guess these razors are my presents to myself.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great haul, mate!

10. lindyhopper66

Thank you, very kindly, sir.

macaronus likes this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Dude, that Filly is a major score. I've been wanting one of them for years but haven't found a price I was willing to pay. I wouldn't hesitate at $40.

12. lindyhopper66

The same for me. I would like a larger Filly, but can't complain at the price. I will shave with it tomorrow. The Cadillac was wonderful today.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Gotta put up some pics of the Filly!

14. ShavedZombie

ShavedZombie Member

Good lord... I wish I had friendly barbers :(

15. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I wish I had barbers in my town that actually knew what straight razors are.

16. lindyhopper66

The Filly is the second photo. It is a C-MON Filarmonica. Look at the shank.

The emblem is faded on the scales and my photo doesn't have the sharpest focus. LI preferred the Cadillac shave, but maybe I need to touch up the Filly better. I'm meeting with 4 local straight razor enthusiasists who have more experience that myself. Maybe they will have suggestions.

The last two days I've been shaving with a 7/8 (15/16) Bartmann High Class. Now that's a nice razor. Got it NOS at an antique mall in Burlington, North Carolina.

17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Two very Rare Examples of the C-Mon line...
    Took me years to score my Vintage Cadillac, two very very nice razors my friend

18. lindyhopper66

Shaved with the Cadillac again today. Still rather nice. I've just been at the right place at the right time lately for razors to appear.