2 vs 3 blade disposables

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by magoo, Mar 17, 2008.

1. magoo

magoo New Member

Hello all..I am a newbie to this site and glad to have found this site!

I just had a question regarding disposable Razors...while browsing through Wal-Mart this evening I noticed that all the 3 blade disposable razors where on the easy access middle shelf, all the 2 blade disposables and BIC single blades where on the bottom...anyone out there besides me think a day will come when only 3 or more razors will be the "norm"???

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

First off......WELCOME

Yeah.i think 3 or more will be the norm pretty soon. Nothing wrong with 1 or 2 blades.....just the current "it thing" is 3 or more blades. Just makes it cheaper for those of us in the know :)

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Yup, I think the disposables will always follow the route of the cartridge razors, just slower.

4. magoo

magoo New Member

Ouch! the thought of 3 is too much for me!:mad:

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Welcome to The Shave Den, Magoo! Glad to have you with us!!

As for your question, who knows? If Gillette can convince people that 27 blades will give them a better shave than 2, 3 or 5, then that's what you'll likely find at Walmart.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I thought that 3 blade cartridge razors were the norm at this point? Hell, I figured most people were using one of those 5 blade contraptions.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Disposables are whole razors you throw away, not just the cartridge section. :)

Yeah, I think the multi-blades will become the norm even in disposable razors.

8. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

From the manufacturer's point of view, once the assembly line is tooled for production, the cost for producing a single blade versus a triple blade razor is nothing. For that matter, the cost of producing a three blade versus a 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 blade razor is nothing. Can you imagine a 7 blade or 9 blade razor? Will there be any limits to the hype that can be marketed to the masses?

9. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I still get a kick out of that Onion article that came out a few years ago. They quoted the Gillette CEO as saying, "Here's the report from Engineering. Someone put it in the bathroom: I want to wipe my ass with it. They don't tell me what to invent—I tell them. And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it! " I laughed out load when I read it. but don't take my word for it.
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

10. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Ok Red.......

Im stealing that and putting it in the Dirty Jokes section

I LOVE ME SOME ONION

11. magic

magic New Member

Its all marketing & profits. The 3 blades + make alot more money then the 1 or 2 blade disposables.

12. Kapp EO

Kapp EO New Member

If I have to use a disposable, I like Schick's Extreme III all right (despite its "trying a little too hard to appeal to 18-year-olds" moniker).

13. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Welcome to the mix magoo.
    Whatever's hot sits at eye level...everything else above and below out of sight, out of reach, out of mind.

14. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

Use the Bic "Metal". One blade.

15. oxcrew

oxcrew New Member

Bic metal I have heard are the best single blade disposable. Anything with more than two blades has the first blade that actually designed to almost try to cut into the skin so if three blades are irritating you try a two or one blade system.

16. alphage

alphage Member

Bic metal

Bic metal I have heard are the best single blade disposable.

***Are there any special instructions for using a Bic metal disposable?

Family Dollar store is selling these in packages of five. ***

17. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Yuk........I cannot understand what people see in these BIC metals. There are a couple disposables out there that are much better, IMO. Give me a few minutes, and I will get some links going.

18. The Zook

The Zook New Member

Bic Metal (to me) is a nice disposable and works quite well. Very light and thin however so that takes adjustment, but what disposable isn't light.

19. apswartz

apswartz New Member

At our WalMart the razor blades are now locked!

20. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I wonder if it's a theft or safety issue?