25mm H.I.S.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Feb 7, 2013.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I received my new 25mm H.I.S. brush in the mail yesterday. It's a piece of work, lol. If I would have wanted the brush instead of just the knot I would be pretty disappointed. The knot was set crooked and the loft came in at 57mm, the specs say, 54mm. I use 2 synthetics in rotation regularly, a Muhle 23mm and a H.I.S. 28mm set at about 54mm. As it is, I don't really care for this new brush. I wish I could verbalize what I don't like about it but I'm not sure I can. It's more of a feel thing that I would describe as collapsing. At any rate, I do believe there is a pearl in there someplace and I have a plan...............

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You called?

3. oscar11

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. oscar11

I had this Leadwood handle laying around and it hits the loft perfectly that I wanted to try, so the knot will have a new home for a couple of shaves anyway.
    [​IMG]
    upload pic

JRod22, Doryferon and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

The right knot is from TGN or WD?

6. oscar11

The left is a 23mm Shavemac finest and the right is a 25mm H.I.S. knot (synthetic).

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well Steve, the plan worked out well. I knew you were going after the knot. Looks good in the Leadwood handle.

As another reviewer on B&B stated, the quality of the handles and the setting of knots has gone south while the knots themselves are first rate.

:happy096:

8. oscar11

Gary, I think the knot will be fine (great). The brush quality as far as craftsmanship is lacking. I'll be polite. I'll give the brush a go in the morning with the loft set at 50mm and adjust from there. Made the green handle this evening.
    [​IMG]
    images

jeraldgordon and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Sweet handles.

10. jdjones

jdjones New Member

Very nice handles. You have made the HIS what it should be. FWIW, I purchased 2 of the new models, and promptly shipped both back. The different knot sizes were an improvement, but the handles were all out of whack IMO, and the QC was not good either.

Congrats on finding a use for the great knot though!

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. oscar11

jd, the verdict is still out on the knot, IMO. That is a surprise to me, I thought this was going to be a great knot but apparently I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You tried 48 and 52 and 50 mm on the loft setting correct?

13. oscar11

Yes, Gary, that's correct. I'd have to say shorter has been better. 46mm for tomorrows shave.