2K PHIG

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Brickman301, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I was looking around last night on Ebay can came across a person selling 2,000 grit Chinese stones. I’ve heard about the 12k stones, but couldn’t find much info about this courser stone. Kinda interesting.
    So does anybody here have any experience with this stone, or know anything about them?

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I believe @gssixgun has commented about this, a long time ago, as well as others. Not glowing results. I thought about them at first too, but decided on Welsh Slate Stones. These have served me well.

3. Brickman301

I looked up your post about the 3 welsh slates stones you bought. Are these the stones you were referring too? If so it looks like the seller only sells them on eBayUK now. Now I have to figure out how to purchase them? I’m in the Usa

4. DaltonGang

AJ still ships worldwide. I don't see the three set offered on his site. He is good about getting back when contacted, so ask him any questions.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/GREEN-SHARPENING-STONE-SHOP?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

OK, just a question here, no judgement meant, but these are dirt cheap compared to Naniwas etc. Where it says 12k, is that an equivalent? Are they easy enough to use? He says he's lapped them too...

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I bought a set of the same stones, and I think they a fine way to get started. But, I don’t think either the one marked 12 or 15 are quite what my Shapton 12k is. But using them as a newer honer, I also may have been confusing smoother with not as sharp, also. They put a good edge on the razors I used them on.

On the con side, and I didn’t know this until I bought other stones to compare them to, they are very slow. It makes it hard for a newbie honer to know if he’s doing it right, cause it seems like it takes so much longer than everything you read and watch.

I would also not count on them being lapped to the point you want to put a razor to them. Mine were not.

DaltonGang and Dansco like this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Thank you! But they are usable... ? :ashamed001:

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They are totally usable, they just maybe aren’t the most user friendly hones to learn on compared to buying a Naniwa or a Shapton.

Once my skills get a little more refined, I want to revisit them, and compare the different feel to the edges they create.

9. DaltonGang

@PickledNorthern is totally correct. They are very usable, a little slow, and need to be lapped once you get them. Not much lapping, just a little on the 320 Wet/Dry. I have honed many many razors with these, and they work fine. I haven't been spoiled by using the super fast cutting synthetic finishers yet. I have used these exclusively, well, along side a Norton 220/1k and Arkansas Surgical Black.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  10. Brickman301

Thanks, I sent him a message about these stones, asking if he would be willing to sell me a set of 3 stones, like he did for you. When he responds I’ll let you all know.

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

He might be out of a certain one. Ask for the 8k 12k and 16k. I have the 8 x 3 one's.

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

you have a PM about the "WHIG's"

Welsh Hones of Indeterminate Grit :p

lindyhopper66 likes this.