2nd Annual 30DC Shavey Awards

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BaylorGator, Apr 28, 2018.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

When the tensions run high amongst the 30DC (particularly between cartel members and the silent, numerous, mighty and handsome warriors of the cookie revolution), there is only one way to bring peace. That's right; MAYhem. Kind of like the Olympics, it allows folks from every belief, creed and nation to come together in peace and brotherhood for the good of all mankind. Only, it's kind of an like an Olympics for dim-witted, reckless shavers with bad ideas... who don’t need to have any athletic abilities... and there's no Olympic Village... and... OK, in retrospect, it's nothing like the Olympics. (Although it wouldn't surprise me if the Russian cartel members were caught up in some sort of doping scandal, which would make it kinda similar).

For those unfamiliar with the 30 Day Crew or MAYhem (or even the great cookie revolution for that matter), I encourage you to check out the MAYhem 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion Thread (or 30DC THREAD for short), and to meet a great group of guys, who, although a bit nuts, helped my shaving technique immensely when I started with a DE. Since then, I've seen them help many a shaver along the path while demonstrating generosity, brotherhood, and the (more than) occasional Shenanigan. Also, make sure you've read the opening post at the start of the thread to familiarize yourself with the 30DC and MAYhem rules and disclaimers before reading further. I'd encourage newbies (or really anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex) to enjoy the festivities by gawking from the sidelines, since much of what goes on here is not condoned by me, management, or anyone with even a grain of common sense. It's kind of like the 30 day crew's version of the old life cereal commercial "Let's get Mikey to eat it, he'll try anything" combined with the joy of watching some sort of half baked "Wiley Coyote" plan and wondering if it will work, knowing full well that it can't, but unable to look away until you see how it ends. As they say on TV "do not try this at home, these people are trained professionals" (and/or way dumber than you are).

Everyone is encouraged to participate in this thread and/or offer up nominees (or even suggest new award categories) based on reports posted in the 30 DC THREAD throughout the month of May. In order to be considered for a nomination, a report of the shave, gear used, and preferably pictures (you know..."pics or it didn't happen") must be posted in the 30DC thread, but PLEASE make sure you post them in this thread too, as the main thread moves pretty quickly and it's easy to miss a post. I'll keep track of the awards and nominees in the next post and try and keep it updated in a reasonably timely manner throughout the month. Winners will be announced at the digitally broadcast Shavey Awards held here on this thread in June.

New for 2018:
    As always, in order to receive a nomination, a participant in the 30DC thread must recommend your shave report, pic, or whatever to the Academy in this thread (i.e. you can't nominate yourself). However, the Academy has created a new category of awards listed below as "Nominate Yourself" Awards. These awards are more like PIFs which allow you to nominate yourself if you qualify for the award. These awards will reward more sane behavior like sitting on the sidelines, starting your first focus, or learning a new razor style during MAYhem, and will be awarded prior to the main Shavey Awards broadcast in June.

As is tradition, if you think the Academy blew it, and feel that somebody got screwed out of an award or nomination, you are welcome to award your own "dissenting opinion award" at the conclusion of the Awards presentation and post it in this thread as long as you contact that person and deliver that person an award of something of your own from your own inventory. The Academy will add this information to the board once your award prize is outbound.

The Awards, lists of nominees, and prizes slated to be to be awarded are listed below. Any additional info regarding prize donations, awards, distribution, etc. are detailed separately in a SHAVEY PRIZE THREAD. Check it out for more details.

Now, with no further preamble,
    LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

1A0AAA7A-8845-400C-BB14-A87CAC8D9633.jpeg

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Paul76, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  2. BaylorGator

AWARD CATEGORIES & NOMINATIONS:

MAYhem Man of Steel

Most impressive body of work over the entire month of MAYhem.
    Nominees:
    @9nein9 successfully creating and shaving with a full stable of hand crafted shaving contraptions.
    The Shavey Goes to: @9nein9
    Shavey Awarded: Stirling Fruity Frankensoap & Vanilla Sandalwood Soaps

MAYhem Innovation
    Nominees:
    @9nein9 for his homemade, adjustable, pivoting head SE, his “Hold My Beer” bottle cap razor, butter knife Kamasouri and shoehorn shaver.
    @PickledNorthern for his pen razor (Deskshaver 1.0)
    The Shavey Goes to: @9nein9
    Shavey Awarded: Gillette Tech Travel Razor

MAYhem Trailblazer

Nominees:
    @wchnu for his shave with cheap Mayo and a pain stick
    @Drygulch for attempts at the can shaver 1.0 and rusty pocket knife shave.
    The Shavey Goes to: @wchnu
    Shavey Awarded: Cheap Soap and AS Smorgasbord

Most Successful Shave with the Item Least Suitable for Shaving
    Nominees:
    @NCoxSTL for his shave with his "Chernobyl Brush" (a.k.a. Boris' toupe) using questionable russian mystery cream from a tube, and his “Feather Bolt” razor.
    @Screwtape for his shave with a chintzy plastic paint scraper with loose blade attachment
    @9nein9 for his shave with his custom crafted “Hold My Beer” bottle cap razor
    @wchnu with an encore shave with his 2017 model stivette (blade epoxied to twig)
    @cmorris357 for his shave with a bread scorer.
    The Shavey Goes to: @cmorris357
    Shavey Awarded: Soap Sampler #2

Big Cohones Award
    Nominees:
    @SharptoothC for his "MAYhem Opening" open blade shave.
    @Screwtape for his shave with a chintzy plastic paint scraper with loose blade attachment
    @9nein9 for having the stones to convert his wife’s flatware to a razor while she was sleeping.
    @cmorris357 for shaving with a bread scorer.
    The Shavey Goes to: @SharptoothC
    Shavey Awarded: KMF Duo

Most Inspiring Photo

Nominees:
    @clint64 for "Wolfman in the Woods”
    @jtspartan for "First May Shave - Canuk Edition"
    @Boojum1 for "Paladin Grill Brush"
    @Norcalnewb for “Barbados Blues”
    @Drygulch for “Wheat State Straight”
    @KenH for “OC in the Garden”
    @PLAla for "Supply Shadows"
    The Shavey Goes to: @jtspartan AND @KenH
    Shaveys Awarded: 4 knots for setting AND

Least Inspiring Photo
    Nominees:
    @Drygulch for his strategic use of "leopard attack" photo to entice shavette usage
    @NCoxSTL for “Keeblers’ End”
    The Shavey Goes to: @NCoxSTL
    Shavey Awarded: Stirling Barbershop AS

Most Ill Advised MAYhem Idea
    Nominees:
    @Drygulch for the aborted mission of “Can Shaver 1.0”
    @Drygulch for the aborted mission of the rusty pocket knife shave.
    The Shavey Goes to: @Drygulch
    Shavey Awarded:

Worst MAYhem Shave Results
    Nominees: honorable mention to defending champion @Drygulch for abandoning his bad ideas prior to injury this year.
    The Shavey Goes to: @Drygulch
    Shavey Awarded:

Best Enabling Move
    Nominees:
    @Linuxguile for the genius, indisputable argument that the purchase of an expensive modern razor may be justified because “it looks good”.
    @RyX for playing the long game of sending a shavette after one MAYhem and encouraging its use on the following MAYhem.
    @PickledNorthern for his “diversion collection” enabling scheme found HERE.
    The Shavey Goes to: @Linuxguile
    Shavey Awarded:

Relaxed Shaver Award
    Nominees have shown mastery of difficult gear to the point where it relaxes them.
    Nominees:
    @NCoxSTL for the relaxing Sharp Star in Fattip
    @Keithmax for his regular littany of relaxing BBS SR shaves
    The Shavey Goes to: @Keithmax
    Shavey Awarded: Hair Gel-A-Palooza

"Shave Sensei"
    (30 DC members nominated by their peers for being most helpful on their Shave journey).
    Nominees:
    @clint64
    @PickledNorthern
    @Keithmax
    @Bama Samurai
    The Shavey Goes to: @PickledNorthern
    Shavey Awarded: AOS Tallow Puck

Lifetime Achiement in the Inappropriate Application of Menthol
    The Shavey Goes To: @Drygulch
    Shavey Awarded: Japanese Kamasouri
    (generously provided by @Keithmax)

Best Shavy Awards Acceptance Speech
    Nominees:
    @cmorris357 for incorporation of multiple bread puns in his speech
    @wchnu for his video guest starring his rubber toad frogs.
    @SharptoothC, pending him posting a pic of his Big Cohones Award t-shirt...
    @jtspartan for his homage to bad lighting and bad sports performances
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

"NOMINATE YOURSELF" AWARDS
    Kind of like a Shavey PIF. Nominate yourself by meeting the requrements of the award and posting in this thread in order to say "I'm in" for any of the awards listed below:

Cold Cohones Award
    Nominate yourself if you successfully endure mentolating “the boys” for a shiny piece of metal.
    Nominees:
    @jluc for his use of Proraso mentholated preshave.
    @Norcalnewb for his use of Osage rub.
    The Shavey Goes to: @Norcalnewb
    Shavey Awarded: Straight Razor
    (generously provided by @Drygulch and @Keithmax) for AS Level Menthol; otherwise highest wenthol soap level winner will be chosen at random for an award from the prize cache.

Mild Mannered Shaver
    Nominate yourself if you plan to unashamedly watch MAYhem safely from the sidelines.
    Nominees:
    @PLAla
    @jluc
    @Paul Turner
    The Shavey Goes to: @PLAla
    Shavey Awarded: Stirling Soap Samples

...Due to lack of anyone nominating themselves, the following awards will apparently go unclaimed in 2018...

30 DC Newbie
    Nominate yourself if you are a new participants actively posting in the 30 DC thread in May and are here to work on and improve your shave technique.
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded: 120 Fine Russian Steel Blades
    (generously provided by @NCoxSTL)

What's the Worst That Could Happen?
    Nominate yourself if you attempt and complete at least one full pass with a "new to you" category of open blade razor (straight, shavette, pain stick, epoxied twig, etc.)
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded:

Stepping Up My Game (a.k.a. Survive The Leopard Attack)
    Nominate yourself if you want to step up your game by agreeing to shave with the winning prize and post the results in this thread.
    Nominees:
    The Shavey Goes to:
    Shavey Awarded: Leopard Shavette
    (generously provided by @Drygulch)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. BaylorGator

AWARD PRIZES

The following is a list of prizes to be potentially awarded during the Shavey Ceremonies broadcast digitally in July on this thread. It's my annual way of clearing out my den and saying thanks to a great group of folks on this forum. Most items have been lightly used unless otherwise indicated. For more details and/or pictures, please see the SHAVEY PRIZE THREAD.

Warning #1 - DO NOT perform a stupid shave stunt in order to try and get nominated for a Shavey. First of all, it doesn't work that way. Second of all, nothing on this list is particularly valuable. If you need gear or software that badly, PM me and we'll work something out in lieu of you trying something stupid.

Warning #2 - Do not get too attached to any particular item listed below, as this list is subject to change subject to what I buy, sell and trade in my den. (No whining.)

Cheers!

1. Cremo Shave Cream Trio
    2. Chrome Razor and Brush Stand
    3. Harry's Shave Kit with Moisturizer
    4. Dollar Shave Club Kit - Dr. Carver’s Shave Lather, Shave Butter, AS Balm & AS Dew
    5. Razorock XXX and Classic Soaps (both 50%), Proraso Cream (70%) and pre-shave sample.
    6. Real Shaving Co. Shave Cream and Brickell Moisturizer Sample
    7. Soap Sampler #1
    8. Razorock Tech
    9. Gillette 1954 (Z3) Flair Tip
    10. Schick Krona and DE Travel Case
    11. 2 User Grade Gillettes - Tech (ND) & Old Type
    12. Whipped Dog Poor Man’s Strop

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    9nein9 likes this.
  4. BaylorGator

Reserved for future content if needed.

9nein9 likes this.
  5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Aaaand we're off.

Fromm hair shaper blade (hand held)
    Haslinger Schafmilch
    Nivea Post shave balm
    Stirling boar brush

One pass. Longest one pass shave ever. Had to actually re-lather because I was taking so long that the lather was drying up. Ended up with a socially acceptable shave and no blood to speak of, so I'll take it.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Paul76, NCoxSTL, RyX and 9 others like this.
  6. BaylorGator

That was an impressive start, Chris! Doesn't fit any of the current Award categories, but we may have to create a new category like the "Big Cohones" award for that one. Wow.

Keithmax, NCoxSTL, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. BaylorGator

OK, I hate to break the suspense, but we all know that @clint64 is gonna be one of the frontrunners for the best photo award. I'm gonna just get the first nomination out there to start things off. Ultimately Clint and/or the 30DC will need to decide which of his photos will be the nominee, but I'd remiss in not putting him on the board with his first one, as they're all outstanding...
    [​IMG]

NCoxSTL, RyX, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  8. BaylorGator

Congrats @SharptoothC and @clint64 for this year's first Shavey nominations!

A few guys have mentioned they are watching from the sidelines this month (@KenH, @jluc, @PLAla). If you are in for the "Mild Mannered Shaver Award" (i.e. PIF), be sure to nominate yourself.

Keithmax, NCoxSTL, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd like to nominate myself for Best Acceptance Speech(course it would go to another nominee if I don't win anything, right??).

10. BaylorGator

Although the Academy appreciates your enthusiasm, Paul, we are not amused. Well, OK we are amused a little, but don't tell anyone.

Keithmax, NCoxSTL, RyX and 5 others like this.
  11. Paul Turner

OK, I'll just sit back and enjoy the competition. Reminds me of a story though....when I was a senior in college, there were rumors I might win an award at the Campus Awards night..problem is, I was off campus at my relatives home, who were throwing me a nice birthday party. I called a friend and asked him to accept the award for me if I won. Read below for the exciting conclusion.

I didn't win. :angry017:

Keithmax, NCoxSTL, RyX and 4 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Oh, sorry @BaylorGator -I just now saw that the Best Acceptance Speech is separate from "Nominate Yourself". No wonder you weren't amused :)

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I will heedlessly nominate myself for Mild Mannered Shaver Award. :D

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'll join Perry in nominating myself for the mild mannered shaver award.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Someone did a handheld blade shave last year and I have been planning to do it this year since then. Figured I would get it out of the way before thinking better if it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I nominate this shot from Jason @jtspartan for Most Inspiring Photo:
    [​IMG]

I've got MonoBilt envy now, and will have to break out one of mine this month.

PLANofMAN, Keithmax, NCoxSTL and 6 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

For photo nominations, a lot of thread members take a lot of really good photos, so if someone who is already nominated posts another even more more inspirational shot, it can take the place of an earlier entry. In order to do so, the photographer, general consensus, or Academy must decide that it is "more inspirational" than the previous photo nominated by that photographer. That way, hopefully the best photo by each nominee becomes associated with their nomination.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Keithmax, NCoxSTL, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

CaN I "nominate myself" for two awards?

Keithmax, NCoxSTL and 9nein9 like this.
  20. BaylorGator

Theoretically, yes, but I'm not sure how that's possible unless you're a new 30DC member and staying on the sidelines. I guess it's also possible if you are new to the 30DC and joining the thread in order to try a straight, shavette, or other open blade razor for the first time. To me, shaving with a "new to you" open blade implement means you're not staying on the sidelines, but participating in the MAYhem, so those categories are mutually exclusive. (In my mind, it doesn't have to be a stunt shave to be MAYhem if you are taking the leap of doing something you've never done before. Shaving my first time with a straight was probably a bigger leap for me than @wchnu's shave with an epoxied twig was for him).

Just to clarify, a "new to you" open blade razor means a category or type of open blade razor that you've never shaved with before. So a newly purchased shavette, for example, would not apply if you've already shaved with a shavette before, but if you never have, then your first ever shave with a shavette would apply. If you make that implement your focus, even better, but it still must be a kind of open blade implement (i.e. straight, shavette, pain stick, popsicle stick razor, etc.) that you've never used before.

Edit: Additional awards have been added in the "Nominate Yourself" categories, so it is now feasible to nominate yourself for more than one of these awards (i.e. PIFs).

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Keithmax, NCoxSTL, RyX and 5 others like this.