3 New Restores! Guidance appreciciated

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Bryan Miller, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Bryan Miller

Bryan Miller Active Member

Three handles. Unfinished.

Three new TGN knots:

Omega Boar 24mm Branded
    Omega Boar 22mm Unbranded
    Finest XH 24mm

Help me decide how to pair them. I don't want the finest in the barber style wooden handle because I feel it won't balance well.

Note: Handles aren't ready. They need to be sanded and polished. Waitin on Mothers delivery.

I plan on removing the rings from the Omegas. What is the best way to do this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Bryan Miller

I tried using a 280 grit on the black and clear rubber handle and scratched it a bit yesterday. How can I reverse the damage done?

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Depending upon how deep the scratches are, 1500 grit paper and a slow steady wet sanding might reverse some of the damage (no guarantees).

4. Bryan Miller

My sandpaper came from autozone in a variety pack. Safe to assume its wet dry paper?

5. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Should say on the back...but what I've found is that the higher grits sold for auto resto's are usually wet/dry.

6. Bryan Miller

Ok. Any tips for cleaning the inside of the lucite?

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Same as the outside- progressively finer sandpaper. There is a type called micromesh that is super fine.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I believe I'd put the unbanded in the Century if it's big enough to give the brush a balanced look., and the finest in the ER.

I cut the buckets off with a cutting wheel in the Dremel by cutting it lengthwise and prying it off. So far I haven't ruined one yet. Yet.

9. Bryan Miller

[​IMG]

Here's the original knot. This is why I wanna stick with branded. I think it'll math the gape and color most to the original. Thoughts?

God that knot was brutal. My brooms are softer.

10. Bryan Miller

[​IMG]

Got the rings off. The 22mm was a cinch. One solid cut with a dremel and voila: pulled right off.

However, the 24mm was a fighter. Took 8 total slices all the way through the plastic to remove the entire ring.

Test lathered all 3 and am very excited and thrilled at the same time. I'm going to restore one brush fully then move onto the next.

After some inner deliberation, I've decided to put the TGN Finest on the barber pole. It's huge and soft and will end up sexy as hell. Test lathering at its 65mm native floppiness was a joy. I'm going to retain its massive stature and keep it 55+. I think it'll turn out great.

I cannot separate the Ever-Ready 1CS into two portions to clean the inner lucite by brute force. Does anyone know a trick to help it along so I can remove it?

Thanks guys!

Doryferon likes this.
  11. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

That Century handle is causing me some jealousy!!! Love that handle.

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I don't know which should go where, but you did a fine job on cleaning up that Century. That sucker is nice.

13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

What a cool project! I know what everyone means by getting addicted to this stuff! :)

14. Bryan Miller

[​IMG]

The poly didn't set evenly. Is this due to my stain not fully drying??

I think I'm going to wait one more day and red and. Then apply poly. It's darker than I wanted :(

15. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

If it's darker than you want it, let it dry fully then sand it down (though I like that color that you have). You'll either end up where you want to be or you can start again. I would recommend a cherry stain to get closer to where it was. If you want it a little darker, add a few drops of the stain you just used. Always dry between coats. If you apply several coats of stain / varnish, etc, lightly sand between every couple of coats. Anything you want to clean from the inside of your handles, I'd recommend a Dremel, a light hand and some patience. You're going to have 3 very nice brushes on your hands!

16. Bryan Miller

The lucite on black will not to clear. I cannot separate them so I think I'm going to just polish and plant a 22mm boar in it and give it to my dad so he can start :)

Raven312 likes this.
  17. Bryan Miller

The 24mm branded knot is a LOT better than the 22mm performance wise off the bat. I wasn't expecting that.

18. Bryan Miller

[​IMG]

Resanded and stained it one more time. Much happier with the results

Raven312 likes this.
  19. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Gave it a little more texture. You can see the grain better. Once you seal it, it'll pop.

20. Bryan Miller

Yes sir.

What's the best way to apply spray poly?