30 Day Rule/Focus; Feb 2023. All are welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Feb 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi everyone!

We had a great month of shaves and I know we will continue to do so this month. Again, I want to thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and daily shaves.
    Looking back into the archives, the usual theme this month is Fatboy February. For those of you who don't own one, please don't fret. There is another suggestion.from the archives and that's February Favorites. It means to pick out your favorite items for your shaves.it could be a razor, soap, etc. or a combination
    It's the love month and that means those of you who have spouses or significant others will give extra love to them. However, whether we have that special love one in our lives or not; it's just as important to love yourself. Go back to an activity that you really like or find a new one. Perhaps get something you wanted to add to your shave den. It's OK! You are worth it! Appreciate every day in the things that occur no matter how big or small. Let's all have a good time shaving and doing other things this month.

Ok, let's continue with the basic tenets of this!
    I want to welcome all the veterans of the 30 DC and all the newcomers. This thread is for the purposes of improving your shave technique so that you will consistently get great shaves. There are a number of ways to do it. These are suggestions so feel free to do whatever you want in regards to your shave.

The 30 Day Rule
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY this month. Yes, everyday. But Trigger, I want variety! I know you do, but until you perfect your technique, it makes little sense to constantly change the variables of your shave.

The Focus
    For you out there that are not up to the rigors of the Rule, there is this alternative:
    Vary the gear for each shave, save for perhaps one or two elements.
    This is a more accessible challenge for the majority of shavers. I like to pick a particular aspect of the shave, be it the lather, a certain blade or a new razor, that needs breaking in, and not change it daily, until I have mastered those tools.

Ok, to keep the thread on a nice even keel, I ask everyone to follow the thread etiquette as listed below:
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.
    ** This includes, but is not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.**
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread.

I also want to suggest that we should try to assess our shaves as to why it was good or why it was not up to your standards and express these reasons in your comments. The spirit of this thread is to improve our shaves and if we share the reasons why a shave was good or bad, then we are giving our experiences to encourage good technique and discourage bad technique so that we have great info to get better shaves. I am not suggesting that we do it for every post, but I think it would make for a healthier thread if we start to do it more than we have in the past years.

Moreover, you don't have to do a rule or a focus. You are free to change your setup on a shave to shave basis.

Finally, I want this thread to continue to be a friendly place. It is ok to disagree because that is how we learn from each other, but let's encourage and respect every member. Yes, even if you think they are off the wall. Let's face it! We all are a little off because of our different Aquisition Disorders. Lol!

Let's have a group hug!

[​IMG]

Also, let's have a great February
    of awesome shaves and fine fellowship!

Sincerely,

Joe (Trigger)

2. brit

brit in a box

awesome intro Joe.:cool:

Paul Turner, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  3. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

An excellent intro to February Joe...I'll be continuing my Sub-continent DE blade focus, pairing them up with my much loved three Slant bar razors.

brit, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Another fine way to start the month.

My goal for this month is to finish off the tub of Lakewood Soaps Prairie Song. To that end, I will be doing 3017 weekdays of Tuesday-Friday. I reserve the option to incorporate additional days.

Furthermore, I will select the next candidate for the Edmund Fitzgerald treatment. The candidates are: Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E tube, Lather Bros. Calle Ocho and OCSC Brocha.

In the razor department, I will present approximately half of my shaves with a straight razor. The remaining days will be left to a random generator to determine the options between a Shavette, DE or GEM.

Hope you all have a great shaving month.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  5. Trigger

Thanks Gary.

brit and JACarbone like this.
  6. Trigger

Thanks Barry. Sounds like you have a great plan.

brit, JACarbone and palmolive fox like this.
  7. Trigger

Thanks Joe. I like your method for planning your shaves for this month.

8. Trigger

I am continuing my consecutive daily shaves until Feb 8 because that is when I will hit 100 shaves. At that point, I will go back to my normal schedule of shaving. Also, I will continue to use Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh SS for most of my shaves until it is completely consumed. Finally, I will use my Gillette Fatboy for 1 week straight and use my favorite soaps for the entire month. This way I have both monthly themes in play.

brit, Herm2502 and JACarbone like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I begin this month the same way I ended the last. Well, ALMOST the same, as the

Brush-Razorock 400 (Matte Black Handle)

was different. The brush did a great job loading the soap. Great work along the cheeks&sideburns, as well as North Porcupine Alley. Two problems on South Porcupine, both in the form of Knicks. I'm sure I went a little too hard there. No pain, otherwise, cuts would have been the result. I rebounded well down at Cactus, doing fine there. Overall commentary is a reduction of two points-one for each Knick, which results in Super Duper Outstanding,

10. Trigger

February 1 SOTA

Good afternoon.

Shavette Shave #432
    Dovo
    Personna Hairshaper Blade (5th use)
    Omega Pro 49 Brush
    Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh SS and AS
    Stirling Alum Block
    Beard Growth: 24 hrs

20230201_163457.jpg
    I started with my favorite shavette and boar brush to begin this month's first shave. Did a 2.5 pass for a near BBS shave without any setbacks. The alum feedback was minimal. Splashed on the matching aftershave to end this session.
    I needed a headshave so I used the RockwellModel T at the max setting with a Shaverboy blade. I don't remember how many shaves are on the blade, but I guess at least 2. Of course, I used the same soap because I am trying to use it up. Did get 2 weeps, but nothing serious. I am cueball smooth after 3 passes. Have a great evening.

11. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe

brit and Trigger like this.
  12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Sounds like a good plan Joe.

brit and Trigger like this.
  13. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Wonderful Uncle Fester shave Joe. Gomez would approve.

brit, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Trigger

Lol! Thanks Joe.

15. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

21427F13-F72F-4BAE-8E87-6A66AC919996.jpeg

SRS # 829 - 3017 Weekday Project - Prairie Song

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Wade & Butcher 13/16 “Bow”
    Brush: Shore Shave Player 26 mm
    Lather: Lakewood Soap Company Prairie Song
    Aftershave: Floid Genuine Vigoroso
    Additional Care:
    Omega Alum
    Dickenson’s Original Witch Hazel
    Lakewood Soap Company Prairie Song Balm

Fabulous start to the month with this shave. The W & B straight delivered a very nice shave. As previously stated, I will concentrate on finishing off this soap during the first half of this month. I believe there are 10 shaves left in the tub. I should be finished around Valentine’s Day.

I will trying various aftershave combinations with the soap just to add some variety.

Hope you all had a great day gentlemen

16. Trigger

Great shave to initiate the month Joe. Now, let's see who is going to be the first to finish their puck this month.

JACarbone likes this.
  17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    This thread is older than the forum.

Shall I change the title to 2023?

Herm2502 likes this.
  18. Trigger

Thanks Joanna for letting me know. I changed the title. I was up past my bedtime when I was writing my into. Lol.

Queen of Blades and JACarbone like this.
  19. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

2nd February 2023.

12.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/ Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
    Cold wet flannel to my face.
    Pears Original Transparent Bar Soap.
    Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Synthetic.
    Bowl Lather.
    Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
    Lather: Nivea Men Sensitive Pro Ultra-Calming Liquid Shaving Cream.
    Blade: Sunny Supreme Stainless. (D2)
    Razor: Merkur 37C.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse. / Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel. / Brut Attraction totale ASL. / Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

Greetings,

A wonderful early morning shave to finish my shaving week off superbly.

The Merkur 37C /Sunny Supreme Stainless paired together superbly feeling smooth and efficient. I will carry on using my three Slant razors for the rest of the month and beyond trying out two new Subcontinent blades the Statum Platinum Chrome sputtered & Ninja Stainless DE blades which where kindly sent to me by a member of TSR forum (UK) . I look forward to trying both of them out, especially the Statum Platinum Chrome.

A very comfortable close 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

brit, Herm2502, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  20. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Oh boy, a slight challenge. :happy108: Thank you Joe

Trigger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.