3000th Post - Pyramid Project Progress Report

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by qhsdoitall, Sep 7, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Pyramid Project Progess Report: Say that fast three times.

Wow, 3000 posts. Who knew? Well, I guess half the forum figured it wouldn't take long for a blabbermouth like me who has a lot to say about nothing with the occasional post espousing some of my shaving experiences. Chances were though you read a post concerning horses or my good natured haranguing of HAVOC members instead. It started with a learning journey up to my 1000th post, I went on to putting down some roots and building a foundation of shave knowledge and goodies and added a few levels to my Pyramid of Shavedom up to my 2000th post. Now that I’ve reached 3000 posts by adding a few more levels to the Pyramid of Shavedom, I can see further down the road the course I have to travel. But first, I am revising the pyramid because I made a few mistakes in the plans and also put a few blocks in it that were a little defective or not up to code. I have to replace the suspect pieces, shore up a few walls and put some better mortar in the crevices to create a stronger structure. I want this thing to last a very long time.

So, what revisions and fixes am I doing specifically? I’m using up every shave cream and soap sample that I have for starters, especially the shave creams. Most cream samples come in containers that don’t hold moisture very well. The creams dry out and need to be re-hydrated. Don’t worry; the creams have not suffered in performance. I’m also doing this because creams and soaps are low on my wish list priority since I have so many quality creams and soaps already. What I once thought was some great items are now average in performance and then there are the really great products that are still great and getting better each day. I will keep a few of the average performers for strictly the unique scent but the rest will probably be passed on to those who would appreciate them by trade, sale or gift.

For razors, I have acquired a good portion of the current Merkur product line and starting to acquire some Gillettes. These are the tools that shape the pyramid. I even bought a few distressed Gillette razors to start with just to try my hand at restoring them and get an idea of what ones I would like to buy in prime condition. I am going to purchases one or two more half decent straight razors (wedge or ¼ hollow 6/8 or better size) and I will get something nice from one or two of our Straight Razor Master Craftsmen but for me, str8s are an just an added bonus to the shave experience. Some nice scroll work or carving on the pyramid you might say. I like them and use them on occasion but I consider myself more a DE shaver.

I have beard prep, lather and shaving techniques for putting the pyramid pieces together. Each technique has been tried again and again and revised based on trial and error and suggestions from other journeymen who have far more knowledge than I do. In each case, it’s what works for me. My suggestion is keep it simple and keep it real. You don’t need an entire shave shop of products or custom concoctions to get a great shave. The lather should be plentiful and optimized for the specific cream or soap. The beard should be softened and hydrated. I use facial wash on my nose and ears only. The shave should be smooth and irritation and nick or weep free. I must be doing something right because unless I do something stupid or I am trying a totally unfamiliar piece of equipment, I average a 4.5/5.0 shave. This usually means near BBS, with little or no irritation and absolutely no weepers or nicks. I think I will document a result range list in my shave locker for reference. I am down to one nick or weeper a month and they have been from stupidity more than anything else. BBS has been obtained more frequently with less irritation. It’s starting to come all together. My testing techniques have improved too. I use a reference shave test that consistently shows me where the weaknesses are. I change one variable at a time. This has allowed me to try more and more new things without degrading my shaves. I want to improve and not waste time trying to figure out multiple possible causes of a bad shave.

Post shave is one of my least concerns. It’s the last levels on the pyramid. If I did the rest of my shave routine right, then this is no more than afterthought. I use a quick splash of aftershave and maybe some cologne later on. When I’m testing, I use an alum block as a litmus test. An aftershave balm is never needed on my cheeks except the driest dead of winter. I put a couple of drops in my neck hollows since this is the most sensitive part of my face and neck.

The Shave Locker Badger is quite healthy and has been keeping the thieves away. The attack horse down at the bottom is getting a little fat and lazy but rest assured it will still do its job when needed. The AV Wars are not over by far and something has to carry my sorry butt into battle. What good is the AVCL Paladin without his trusty steed? I am continuing to add notes and comments to the locker as I go along. Sort of like cliff notes for the project. I intend to start taking individual item pictures and linking them to the items in the shave locker so that people can see an actual picture of the item if they want. The pictures will probably reside in my gallery or a Picassa Google Web Album. It would be nice if I could double link an item to a forum review page. If the Shave Locker page allowed HTML it would be a lot easier to build the page offline and then copy the source code into the Shave Locker page. It would also allow me to have a backup copy for such an expansive piece of work. I’ll think of something.

In conclusion, my building project is in great shape. The construction gangs are starting to get the rhythm. Their singing stinks though. “Swing low” just doesn’t seem right when you’re holding a razor in your hand. I need to get an iPod and docking station to help them carry the tunes better. So, I suggest you stick around for further updates. Watch for the garage sales and I am always open to suggestions for improvement. My AD is on the downswing even though it does not look like it. Trust me, my bank account knows it. At some point, I will leave the pyramid in capable hands and continue with my journey. That way I can come back for some R & R whenever I like and watch the final levels be put on. Then, it will be time to start the tough work of creating the artistic murals, carvings and so on.

Here’s to wet shaving! Long Live AVCL!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congratulations on hitting 3000, Rich!

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Slacker! :rofl

BTW, I LOVE GIFTS! :D

Strong Work Garlicman! ::::::::::

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Cool stuff, Rich. Thanks for sharing and congrats on 3000!!!

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Congrats on the 3000th post! Some interesting thoughts too!

6. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

congrats Rich. As always: good stuff.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Im speechless......

:bounce
    I sure hope your wife is a good listener ;)

Nice Job, Rich.
    Keep em coming !

:happy096

I did have a problem with 1 thing you said:

"You don’t need an entire shave shop of products or custom concoctions to get a great shave."

You ARE kidding. Right ?

:D

8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Congats Rich...but a word of advice. If you don't keep them short....you will never reach 4K:D

9. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Way to go, bro! Even though, you know, you diss the AV (a low blow) it's a snow pro like you, with the mojo that you flow... that makes this show a place to grow and take things slow, yo.

In short, Nice work on the 3000!

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Very nice read Rich! Congrats on the 3,000+!

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow, you've been busy :cool:

Congrats Rich!!! :D:D:D:D

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I didn't say you didn't need to "buy" an entire shave shop of products or custom concoctions did I? Of course you do, that's part of the fun. ;) You just don't need a heck of lot all at once during the shave.

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Ya, that one post would be like what? 150-200 posts from Joe or Doc? :rofl

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I thank my lucky stars posts like this one come only one every 3k:D

Congrats to my fellow AVCL hermano::

Thanks for sharing your time and insight with us.

Raf

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Excellent post, Rich......You have knack for drawing "metaphors"....in a funny way (good way ;))

Congratulations on your 3k milestone, despite what the others say, I think they're all valuable and informative (except for the anti-velva blurbs - those are a disservice to Americana)

In any event:

[​IMG]

16. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

googely-moogely:eek: 3000 allready, you could have divided that 3000th post up into smaller posts and passed will!!!! Ice those fingers you've earned a break.:::: congratulations.

17. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Good work!

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Yes but, when it comes to expressing shavedom in the written word, you've got it down. Your blog was invaluable to me when I started out DE shaving.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

3000 posts already - way to go mate and thanks for the great read! :: :: ::

20. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Truly a great post.