$4.00 Otto Deutsch Hans???? (W&B)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Dec 20, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, I took a chance and bid on it. Since I was the only bidder, I won the razor. It was a mess, and there was only one photo of the razor.

Supplied Ebay Photo.
    Otto Deutsch Hans?? Who knows. But, $4.00, what the heck.
    [​IMG]

Once I got it home, I still couldn't tell what it was, too much rust. So, I rubbed a little crust off the tang, and could make out Wade &. I stopped there, and took these two photos. Its a fairly heavy cast steel wedge blade. So, what do you guys think??? $4.00 wasted, or is it a fun project hopeful??

PC201424.JPG

PC201425.JPG

2. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Definitely a project, lots of meat on them bones.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For $4.00, why not. I'd give it a shot.......

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m sure you will make it shave

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Dang boy! Some of the crap you’ll drag home :eek:
    :happy102:

6. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I suppose it’ll require more than a good soak in Scrubbing Bubbles? ;)

Dansco, Billyfergie, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  7. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I would give it a good scrub with WD-40 and steel wool and then do a bevel set. Oneself you can get solid steel all along the bevel, you will know it is worth spending some time sanding and polishing, unless you know you can get there you might wind up working on it for no apparent reason. There is now other way to tell how deep the rust at the edge goes. Funny stuff, sometimes it just brushes off and other times it burrows like a toredo worm and makes tiny little holes all over the place.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Why not .... I've done FAR sillier projects, just look at my brush restorations. I'm simply nutty as a fruit cake. :shocked029:

Have some fun. :D

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah I would of got that for that price, hope you can get the edge to shave ready, and I look forward to seeing the finished blade.

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Worst case your out $4 and some time. If anyone can bring this one back to life, it’s you!

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! I'll be watchin'!!

12. DaltonGang

Update:
    I knocked a pound or two of rust off the blade, and some interesting things started to pop up. Some well defined lettering came up on the spine.
    Celebrated Fine India Steel.
    Some other wording was on the blade, but I cannot make that out. The blade is 13/16th at the toe, and a tad over 12/16th at the heel. This is a chunky blade and every bit a wedge. The tang has double jimps, that are well defined and sharp. Also, there isn't a blade stabilizer. The scales are toast. It looks like some bugs got into them at some point.
    To me, it looks like an old W&B, but, how old?? Any thoughts about this thing, so far??

After some heavy scrubbing with a wire brush.

PC211426.JPG

45auto, Paul76, M14Shooter and 7 others like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Lookin' good... so far!

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Can’t help with its age, but if the razor could talk I think it would thank you! Nice work!

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Updated update:
    Google Fu put to work, and the inscription on the blade should read "Diamond Edge Razor". I found some picks of razors exactly Lockerbie, only rescaled, and polished up. .

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It looks like it will clean up. Is there rust on the edge?

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs107: Keep it up; your bringing it back to life! :bounce015:

18. DaltonGang

Some, but not too much. I will see if I can find a clean edge on it, later today.

Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Looks like you’re gonna spend some quality time with it on the bevel setter. The good thing; looks like you have plenty of iron to work with;)
    You might want to consider a set of them $9 horn scales like I just ordered;). Make that a whopping $13 investment :D

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I know next to nothing about straights, but from what I do understand W&B are generally worth the effort of restoring and a nice set of scales.

How about yellow? :happy097: But really it is my favorite color.

[​IMG]