4 Generations of Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vaughn, May 31, 2023.

1. Vaughn

Vaughn New Member

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0022.jpg My family has used these for generations. As the elders passed on, their razors were handed down and now I have received them. I have never used them as my father changed to an electric razor many years ago and I was never taught. This is my family collection, please comment as I truly know little about them but want to learn. Here are the gems.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    brit, TestDepth, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Nice Chopper. It can be saved. Send it to Glen, aka @gssixgun at gemstarcustoms.com and enjoy it for another four generations.

Karl G, Vaughn, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thats a fantastic razor, a legend in the traditional shaving community. The family connection makes it precious. Sending to Glen at @gssixgun is a great idea, he will put into shaving order.

Karl G, Vaughn and Hembree like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool!
    Another :happy088: to send it to Glen.
    I just sent him 7 of mine. Should be back any day now.

Karl G, Vaughn and Hembree like this.
  5. Axeman556

Axeman556 Well-Known Member

Hey man you can download a file compression app via your app store and then compress your photos , we wanna see the rest of the collection!

Karl G, Vaughn and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Vaughn

Vaughn New Member

Honing Stone also in the collection

Attached Files:

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That looks to be a "Barbers Hone". They are used to touch up already sharp razors, when the edge starts degrading a little.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I took a look through there

You have 4 that stand out

#0002 W&B FBU nice very nice

#0009 Torrey in near perfect geometry, This might be the best choice as a Razor to learn on

#0016 looks to be a Crown & Sword ERN well known maker

#0022 another Torrey that looks to be in good shape

That is what I see, and welcome to the darkside :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Karl G, Keithmax, Vaughn and 2 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The one with the crack near the heel of the blade can probably be re-ground and saved, though it would turn the razor into a shoulderless style razor, and Wade & Butcher did make those.

Considering that they are heirlooms, well worth the effort to restore most of them. That third W&B someone really loved, there's not much life left in that blade.

The Torrey Little Guard would have originally had this on it.
    Screenshot_2023-06-03-00-36-40-12_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg

Vaughn, Karl G and Axeman556 like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lovely collection. I got started after finally taking one of my grandpa’s razors out of the top dresser drawer and having it rehoned. Lots and lots of advice to be found on this site and others. Just realize that it is a fairly steep learning curve but anyone can master it. It was probably after about 10 shaves before I started to think I might just be able to do this and about 30 before I started to feel somewhat competent. Start by only shaving your cheeks using a with the grain pass and progress from there.

Note, Glen (@gssixgun) will put a superb edge on the razors you send him. BUT, your early technique may convince you he botched the job. He didn’t, it’ll just be the razor telling you you haven’t figured it out yet (e.g.angle, pressure, speed, length of stroke, etc.)

Also, I love that stub tail with the fancy scales. Very nice :happy093:

Welcome to the dark side :happy096:

11. Vaughn

Vaughn New Member

Thanks PLANofMAN for the info on the Little Guard. I will look for the guard, might be there somewhere.

Karl G likes this.