4 weeks

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Issy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Being the 1st of the mo I desided to try nothing but a straight for a mo. Not BBS under the jaw line tonight any ideas?

Issy

2. akady

akady New Member

Is it rough all the way around the bottom of the jaw line? I find on your first pass if you streach the skin upward it will get the skin under the jaw line, then when you go for a second pass if you streach the skin downward on the neck you can get a good x pass.

3. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Everything I know about the straight I learned from, Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and as I recall, to get that close shave under the jaw line you need to apply considerable pressure! :happy102

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

If you mean just under the jaw line, what I do is tuck my chin into my neck to flatten that area out and pull the skin above the jaw so that I'm shaving a flat surface. The other thing I do is take a pass going from the ear to the chin along the jaw line. It helps me get the little bit of stubble remaining. It just takes some experimenting with skin stretching and pass direction.

By the way, congratulations on going straight :D

5. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I agree with Steve. Experiment and practice with skin stretching and with the directions of your passes.

It took me awhile to find my own way to clean my jawline. I've found that a good clean pass with the grain first makes it much easier too. But I have a feeling every beard is different

PS If you make it the month through, I doubt you'll go back to anything else, so beware!

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Another vote for stretching and varying the directions of your passes...I usually need to take a least a couple passes under the chin to get a really close shave.

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

+1 to that, that's what I do!

Oh, and congratulations on trying a straight!

8. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Day 18 and getting better by the day. Using both hands sure helps. I find a pre shave oil helps at times too. It sure has picked up my honing skills too, ATG is zero problem now

Issy

9. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Well its been 6 mo and Im still using a straight (well ok a DE maybe once a mo). I can not say enough about a Wapi, even honed it myself. I do wish I could find some one that is a pro to hone a W&B I have to see the difference, will pay but would prefer to trade soap.

Issy

10. xChris

xChris Member

Oh, I don't think you'll have a problem with getting someone to barter with you. ;)

BTW, did you ever get one of the ERN razors?

11. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Well I did get one but not near as nice as yours..I loved that worked spine

Issy

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Great to hear you like it, Issy! ::

I'd help ya get your W&B honed but living over the ocean sure has its disadvantages.

13. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

How many bars ya want? I would be honered to have you hone it.

Issy

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

pm coming up, looking forward to making a deal! :D

15. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Looks like I have a straight or 2 crossing the pond. (and some soap)

Issy

16. xChris

xChris Member

See, I told ya! Easy.